cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subinterfaces and IP addressing

agrayson
Level 1
Level 1

Can a INTERFACE like fa0/1 have a layer 3 IP address and then I create a subinterfaces say fa0/1.1 and put an IP address on them as well with DOT1Q....should this be done I have read mixed comments...not best practice I know but I am trying to do configs ahead of time to migrate IP schema...we are moving from 199.x.x.x to 10.x.x.x so the fa0/0 is 199.x.x.x and the fa0/1.1 is 10x.x.x.

5 Replies 5

Alonzo,

Sub-interface is used when you connect f0/1 with the trunk port. It means you have to create vlans there. Sub-interface will then route traffic between vlans. That's why it asks for DOT1Q. In case of migration from the existing network and you don't want to change anything except ip addresses. You may think about secondary ip address on f0/1. However,It's the same broadcast domain. You can now change the client ip address while the existing network can be used as well.

HTH,

Toshi

thanks for the quick replay...I currently use sub interfaces and understand trunking and how to configure it. I normally dont put an IP address on the interface ...only the sub-interfaces. Secondary IPs we have considered and will work well with EIGRP as I deploy now. I think I may have caused an outage with adding sub interfaces to an interface that already had a layer 3 IP but I am not sure because I never lost connectivity with the router but could not ping other devices at site. I removed the config change but still no joy...I searched Cisco site but have not found a clear answer. I did replace the router last night due to the other router fan dying and then it went into ROMMON etc...so it may have all just been a coincidence but I am looking for best practice and or does that cause packet loss

Alonso,

In case you left the ip address on the physical interface while configuring sub-interface without using a "native" keyword. Router will use the physical interface for your native vlan. That's why you may connect this router via vlan1(I thought).I'm not sure that I understand your question correctly. It's a good idea to know the main point you are going to deal with.

Please check out this link: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk815/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800949fd.shtml

Hopes I help you some.(grin)

Toshi

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Generally, you wouldn't put an address on fa0/1, but instead put it under the interfaces like:

int fa0/1

no ip address

int fa0/1.1

encapsulat dot1q 1 native

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

int fa0/1.100

encapsulation dot1q 100

ip address 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0

You'd then trunk the port that the router connects to and allow vlans 1 and 100 through.

You won't be able to put the same address, or an address in the same subnet, under a subinterface if the main interface has an address that conflicts with the subinterface's address. (subnet or actual address.)

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

iyde
Level 4
Level 4

It depends - is it a router or a lsyer 3 switch you have in mind?

Routers: Use subinterfaces, as you describe.

Switches: Use trunking and SVI (Switch Virtual Interface = interface VLAN x).

HTH.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco