Views
Helpful
Replies

subinterfaces on router

ilnaiduccna
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

It may be a simple question to all, but I want know that we should create first sub interfaces on router for vlan's am I right? Those sub interfaces we can use for vlans in switch right? after that we should encapsulate and assign IP for sub int. but the thing is how we can create sub interfaces on router like for (f0/0)what are those commands and steps.

Please any body can expalin clearly it would be more appreciate.

Regards,

Naidu.

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Naidu

int fa0/0.10

ip address 192.168.5.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulation dot1q 10 <--- this must match vlan number

no shut

int fa0/0.20

ip address 192.168.6.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulaton dot1q 20

no shut

etc...

You need to make the port on the switch that the router connects to a trunk with 802.1q encapsulation.

HTH

Jon

Hello Jon,

Thank you 4 ur early reply,

1. As you told we can create like f0/0.10, f0/0.20 like how many we can create in one router and what is the difference between dot1q & 802.1q

2. In my company 2950 Switches connects to 2811 Routers f0/0, In the router 5 vlans has been created in this scenario up to how many subinterfaces I can create & the IP address for the subint should be in Class C? like 192.168.5.1 like that.

Regards,

naidu.

I don't think there is a specified limit you just have to use common sense ,when you trunk everything that needs to be routed travels up and down that same link so traffic utlization has to be figured in . Also a router is not a switch so its thruput will not be as high as a L3 switch would be .

Do not forget to remove the ip address from the interface (etc f0/0) . I had that problem recently believe me and i spent many hours until i solve it .

Thanks

naidu

There is in fact a limit on how many subinterfaces you can create (actually the limit applies on the total number of interfaces - physical, and subinterfaces, and logical (like loopbacks)). The limit is the number of IDBs (Interface Descriptor Block) supported on your platform and version of code. The number of IDBs is typically in the hundreds and up. So I do not believe that this will be much of a problem for you. If you want to know what your limit is, there is a show command that you can use to get the particular number for your platform and code version.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card