cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sun IP Multipathing

mariusst
Level 1
Level 1

What should be configured on a Cisco switch when connecting to a SUN server configured to do IP Multipathing on two interfaces ?

My customer configured the two connecting ports in a etherchannel but I disagree because the two technologies( IPMP and Etherchannel) use different protocols and are implemented on defferent layers.

The result of his configuration is that one of the ports goes down when he connects his server

I think that the switch ports should just be configured as normal access ports....

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mariusst wrote:

What should be configured on a Cisco switch when connecting to a SUN server configured to do IP Multipathing on two interfaces ?

My customer configured the two connecting ports in a etherchannel but I disagree because the two technologies( IPMP and Etherchannel) use different protocols and are implemented on defferent layers.

The result of his configuration is that one of the ports goes down when he connects his server

I think that the switch ports should just be configured as normal access ports....

As far as i know you are correct. Sun IP Multipathing is not the same as Link aggregation ie. i belive they dladm with LACP for that. And IPM does not support LACP and it certainly won't support PagP which is Cisco propreitary.

So you don't configure the links as etherchannel, rather with IPM you connect each NIC to a different switch, a bit like NIC teaming with Microsoft. If you want to connect both NICs to same switch with aggregated throughput use Link aggregation.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card