Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SUP 1 to SUP 2E - EPLD upgrades ?

Hi All

We have a pair of N7K's with SUP 1. Earlier this SUP 1 was running 5.1(5), and we have done an upgrade for this SUP1 to 6.2(8a) with an intermediate version 5.2(7).

Everything worked good with ISSU. As of now, we have the N7K's with SUP 1 and with 6.2(8a) image.

We are going to upgrade this SUP 1 with SUP 2E (also with 6.2(8a)). We have M132's, M108 modules in the chassis. Do we need to do any EPLD upgrades in this scenario ? I know that this process is disruptive, but how will we know if we need to do EPLD or not ? or will it automatically do it ?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards

Raj

• LAN Switching and Routing
Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Reza,I recently encountered

Reza,

I recently encountered for one of my customer that EPLD upgrade in the latest ios was not automatically upgraded and we had to do it manully.

Reason:

DOM features were not supported.

Issue which I saw was that after upgrade :-

sh interface transceiver detail - no values

Solution: To support the DOM, it requires the latest version of IOFPGA or EPLD.    NXOS will read the IOFPGA version to determine whether it is going to request the IOFPGA to perform the DOM read.

HTH

5 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Hi,Usually you don't need to

Hi,

Usually you don't need to upgrade the ELPD individually since it is done automatically when you upgrade the code. But to be sure talk to your SE or TAC.

HTH

Cisco Employee

Reza,I recently encountered

Reza,

I recently encountered for one of my customer that EPLD upgrade in the latest ios was not automatically upgraded and we had to do it manully.

Reason:

DOM features were not supported.

Issue which I saw was that after upgrade :-

sh interface transceiver detail - no values

Solution: To support the DOM, it requires the latest version of IOFPGA or EPLD.    NXOS will read the IOFPGA version to determine whether it is going to request the IOFPGA to perform the DOM read.

HTH

Thanks Reza and Insharie ill

Thanks Reza and Insharie

ill be doing the supervisor upgrade today. SUP 1 will be replaced with SUP 2E. Ill check the show interface transceiver to check if everything is good. If not, ill do the EPLD upgrades manually to check.

Thanks again :)

Raj

Hi Reza/Insharie I did these

Hi Reza/Insharie

I did these upgrades yesterday. The switch didnt automatically do EPLD upgrade, probably because "no system auto-upgrade epld" is enabled by default. 

The M1 modules were already upto their latest version of EPLD 2.007, but there were a few things which had to be upgraded , like:

LC FE Bridge 186.006 -> upgraded to 186.008

SUP Power Manager SPI 36.000 -> upgraded to 37.000

Apart from this, everything was already the right version of EPLD. 

We did not see the DOM issue . SFP which were DOM capable showed transceiver values, and SFP which didnt support DOM - gave an error saying DOM isnt supported.

Thanks for all your help

Raj

Cisco Employee

Great Job Raj.RegardsInayath

Great Job Raj.

Regards

Inayath

Views
Helpful
Replies