Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Sup2 to sup720 upgrade

I need to upgrade a 6509 from redundant sup2's to redundant sup720's configuration. Can this be done without downtime and what links do you suggest to outline the upgrade procedure?

3 REPLIES
Silver

Re: Sup2 to sup720 upgrade

Hi ,

Before you consider swapping sup 2 engines with sup 720 on 6509 chassis you need to

consider:

The power requirements, fan tray need and is the chassis OK for the sup 720 and on which

slot should it go.

In a Catalyst 6509 chassis:

Supervisor Engine 720 and Supervisor Engine 32 require WS-C6K-9SLOT-FAN2. Each power

supply in the chassis must be at least 2500 W. In fact, Supervisor Engine 720 and

Supervisor Engine 32 require a 2500 W or larger power supply in all 6-, 9-, and 13-slot

chassis. On 6509 switch chassis Supervisor Engine 32 and Supervisor Engine 720 are

installed in slot 5 and slot 6.

You find the h/w info in the link below:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/6000hw/6500_ins/01over.htm

Also The first step would be to take a backup of the existing configuration, since sup 720

will go on slot 5 or 6 on the 6509 chassis so the line cards that were originally on these

slots will now move to the new ones, so you can manually edit the config file(changing the

mod/slot number of the line cards with new numbers on these it would fit) before you

upload the edited config after the hardware is upgraded.

6509 installation guide.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/6000hw/6500_ins/

Hope it helps you.

Thanks,

satish

That's all good information, but what I'd like to know is if I can remove the sup2 blade that is in 'standby', then insert a sup720 blade, and once the config is copied to the 720, 'fail over' to the 720 and remove the remaining sup2 blade without having to take the switch down.

Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

No that is not at all possible. You cannot have 2 different kinds of supervisor engine in same chassis.

If you insert sup 720 in a chassis which is already running with sup 2 the new sup 720 which you have inseretd will not come up and will stay in UNKNOWN state.

So the new inserted sup 720 will not come up so it will not get a copy of configuration from active sup 2.

I will always recommed you to arrange a downtime and replace sup engine in both active and standby slot and then configure it.

Also remember sup 720 in 6509 chassis goes into slot 5 and 6 only.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content