Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Sup2T VSS - Mixed LineCards (X67xx + X68xx) possible?

Hello alltogether,

i am a little bit confused about the usage of the newer (X68xx-Series)-Linecards together with the older (X67xx-Series)-Linecards in a VSS with the Sup2T-Supervisor Engine.

As far as i can tell: The older X67xxx-Linecards operating in CFC-Mode are supported for the Sup2T and i guess this applies to VSS too, right?

The newer X68xx-Linecards have DFC4s installed and work with the Sup2T as well. This also applies to VSS, am i right?

As far as i remember: CFC Cards use the Supervisor for Switching-/Routing-Purposes while DFC-Cards do this without the Sup.

We have a customer at hand that has the older X67xx-Linecards in CEF720-Mode, we now want to add the newer X68xx-Linecards in the second chassis and replace the existing two Sup720 with the new Sup2T's.

Now to the question: What happens when i mix both cards - the older ones working in CFC and the newer ones in DFC4? Is this supported; can this work?

Many thanks for your help in advance!

• LAN Switching and Routing
8 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Re: Sup2T VSS - Mixed LineCards (X67xx + X68xx) possible?

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Generally, you got it correct.  67xx cards can work with the sup2T if they don't have a DFC (i.e. have a CFC), or if their DFC is upgraded to a DFC4 (or replaced with a CFC).  The 6708 is incompatible, because it comes with a DFC3 built-in (and cannot be removed or upgraded).

Regarding VSS, I recall the VS-S720 supports less less cards in VSS mode, but the sup2T, running VSS, might support all the same.

Hi Joseph,

thanks for your reply. The Problem is the "might support" fact. We cannot sell this to our customer, we need a definite go with that Linecard-Mix, thats the problem. I searched for a really long time already and i really havent found anything regarding this. What i found is that the linecards - generally - are supported from the Sup2T i.e. you could have a X68xx-Board and a X67xx-Board (with CFC or DFC4 as you said) in the same chassis and they would run. But do they also run the moment that switch is converted to virtual mode??

It would really be great if someone could confirm this. Or has a link to a statement from Cisco regarding those Linecard-Mixes. I cant imagine that no one else already ran into this issue.

Again - many thanks for your help in advance!

Steffen

Silver

That is forsure, a mix of CFCs and DFCs will work in the setup.

Following can assist you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_qas0900aecd806ed74b.html

Silver

Hi Steffen,

The CFCs and DFCs can be installed in a single VSS setup. The CFCs are dependent on the SUP for the forwarding decisions, however the DFCs don't.  Now the only question is, are your line cards VSS compatible.

Can you tell us the linecards models.

Following are a couple of linecards which are supported:

vss1.JPGvss2.JPG

Thanks

Ankur

"Please rate the post if found useful"

Hi Ankur,

thanks for your reply.

We have the following Linecards in the first chassis:

1x WS-X6748-GE-TX

2x WS-X6724-SFP

They should be supported. There's also this inside the Chassis:

VS-F6K-PFC3C
VS-F6K-MSFC3

but i guess those are on to the Sup720, right? This will be replaced with a Sup2T.

Now the new Linecards we would like to add to the other chassis are those:

1x WS-X6848-GE-TX

2x WS-X6824-SFP

Does this combination work? The X67xx in one chassis and the X68xx in the other one - with a Sup2T in both chassis?

Many thanks for your answer!

Steffen

Silver

Steffen,

The line cards are supported, they are in the list above.

As far as the MSFC3 and PFC are concerned, they are part of the SUP720.

Once you replace it with SUP2T, you will see MSFC5 and PFC4 there.

They should work with the 67XXs, the only concern is the DFC mismatch. Will have to check for that.

Thanks

Ankur

"Please rate the post if found useful"

Ankur,

according to the Sup2T's Datasheet, the X67xx-Cards listed above are compatible as long as they dont have a DFC3 onboard. The one's our customer have use CFC according to the following output:

Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.

--- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------

1   48  CEF720 48 port 10/100/1000mb Ethernet  WS-X6748-GE-TX   xxxxxxxxx

3   24  CEF720 24 port 1000mb SFP              WS-X6724-SFP       xxxxxxxxx

5    5  Supervisor Engine 720 10GE (Active)    VS-S720-10G        xxxxxxxxx

6   24  CEF720 24 port 1000mb SFP              WS-X6724-SFP      xxxxxxxxx

Mod  Sub-Module                  Model              Serial       Hw     Status

---- --------------------------- ------------------ ----------- ------- -------

1  Centralized Forwarding Card WS-F6700-CFC      xxxxxxxxx  4.1    Ok

3  Centralized Forwarding Card WS-F6700-CFC      xxxxxxxxx  4.1    Ok

5  Policy Feature Card 3       VS-F6K-PFC3C      xxxxxxxxx  1.1    Ok

5  MSFC3 Daughterboard         VS-F6K-MSFC3      xxxxxxxxx  5.1    Ok

6  Centralized Forwarding Card WS-F6700-CFC      xxxxxxxxx  4.1    Ok

But are they compatible alongside the X68xx-Cards in the other chassis when VSS is enabled?

Would be great if someone can shed some light into this.

Many thanks in advance!

Steffen

Silver

Steffen,

Though a mix of both the linecards should work in VSS, as they individually work on VSS and 67XX are CFC cards. So ideally there shouldn't be any issue.

However i was not able to find any doc saying that.

I'd say better open up a TAC case. It would be a better option.

Thanks

Ankur

Views
Helpful
Replies