cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sup720 problem booting from bootflash:

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

This is a new Sup720. It came with s72033-pk9sv-mz.122-17d.SXB11a.bin in bootflash. I boot up, format bootflash, copy s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF7.bin to bootflash, make sure it is there:

ROC-6504-DW-B#dir bootflash:

Directory of bootflash:/

1 -rwx 41910276 Jan 10 2007 10:00:05 -08:00 s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF7.bin

...add the correct boot command

boot system flash bootflash:s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF7.bin,

....reload and it boots to rommon>

rommon 1 >

then I check bootflash:

dir bootflash:

File size Checksum File name

42131936 bytes (0x282e1e0) 0x8589d08e s72033-pk9sv-mz.122-17d.SXB11a.bin

I've done this several times and am pulling my hair out now trying to get SXF IOS to run.

1. Why does rommon show SXB11a code in bootflash when I formatted bootflash and copied SXF code in it?

2. Do I need special boot proms or something for SXF code?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Friend,

When you have NATIVE IOS which is there in your case you do not need to load it on both the flash. IT IS ONE SINGLE BUNDLED IOS for both superisor engine as well as MSFC.

So it is loaded only on bootflash of supervisor engine and once it is loaded and switch is up and running you get an access of router prompt and from there you have to access the flash via sup-bootflash:

Yes when the switch is running in NATIVE mode there is config register value which need to be set on supervisor engine as well on MSFC. When the Native IOS boots on Cat6500, first supervisor engine boots and it takes the necessary part of image required for it to boot and then gives the control to MSFC to boot from same image.

I hope I am able to explain in very simple terms.

Regards,

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Yongbing WU
Level 1
Level 1

If you have two Sup720, make sure you have copied the new file to both.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bill.

There is only one Sup720 in the 6504 chassis.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You have the image in the wrong place , you have it in the msf bootflash, it needs to be in the supervisor bootflash in order to boot correctly . "boot system flash sup-bootflash:

. If it not there , "copy tftp sup-bootflash: . think you can copy from the msf bootflash to sup bootflash: . Try copy bootflash: sup-bootflash: .

I wish it were that easy. I've copied the SXF IOS to both sup-bootflash and bootflash and it still boots to rommon> From rommon> I can type 'boot' and it comes up. Also rommon doesn't recognize sup-bootflash.

I've attached a file showing copying the file to sup-bootflash, reloading, failing to rommon, booting from rommon etc. Everytime I reload from IOS it fails to rommon and then I can boot from rommon.

This is happening on two new sup720s I just received from Cisco.

Hi Friend,

Can you try something

Once you have booted the switch from rommon can you run this command and paste the output here

remote command switch show bootvar

OR

issue a command

"remote login switch" then issue a command

"sh ver"

Will wait for the updates!!

Regards,

Ankur

Here is the result of 'remote command switch show bootvar'

ROC-6504-DW-B#remote command switch show bootvar

BOOT variable = bootflash:s72033-ipservicesk9-mz.122-18.SXF7.bin,1;

CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist

BOOTLDR variable does not exist

Configuration register is 0x0

Hope this points to the problem.

FIXED!!

Ankur - you pointed me in the right direction. Noticing that the sp bootvar was 0x0, I went into confreg from rommon and changed the boot bit to '2'.

Now it boots up to whatever is in bootflash just like it's supposed to do.

Thanks for your great help!!

I have one final question that if you would answer for me would clear up a little confusion.

What is the difference between bootflash: and sup-bootflash:?

Thanks!

Hi Friend,

Both means the same flash but terms are different only when the sup is running Native IOS.

When you are running Native IOS the flash on supervisor engine is termed as sup-bootflash and the flash on MSFC is termed as bootflash. The reason is because when you are running Native IOS you get an access to IOS and you are on router prompt and from router prompt when you do "dir bootflash" you get an access to flash on MSFC but from same router prompt when you do "dir sup-bootflash:" you get an access of flash on supervisor engine.

When your supervisor is running Hybrid Mode which is CATOS on supervisor engine and IOS on MSFC then you term the flash as bootflash only because you have access to supervisor engine and msfc seperately and there is 2 different operating system on both the flash.So when you are on supervisor engine you say "dir bootflash:" and when you are on MSFC you again say "dir bootflash:" because you are local to the flash on sup and msfc one at a time.

Incase of Native IOS you have one operating system so you are always local to flash on MSFC and to access the flash of supervisor engine you say "sup-bootflash" which means flash on supervisor.

I hope I am able to explain in simpler terms.

Regards,

Ankur

*Please rate all helpfull post

So running Native IOS, can I have one version of IOS, say 12.2(18)SXE3, on bootflash: (the MSFC flash) and another version, say 12.2(18)SXF5, on sup-bootflash (the supervisor engine flash)? I guess I'm still a little confused.

Also, the fix to my problem was setting the rommon config register to 0x2 from 0x0. I thought that the config register setting when you do a 'sh ver' (which was 0x2102 in my case) was what determines how the router will boot. Now it seems there are two config registers - is that true? What good is the 0x2102 register if it is being ignored by the rommon 0x0 register?

Thanks for your patience

Hi Friend,

When you have NATIVE IOS which is there in your case you do not need to load it on both the flash. IT IS ONE SINGLE BUNDLED IOS for both superisor engine as well as MSFC.

So it is loaded only on bootflash of supervisor engine and once it is loaded and switch is up and running you get an access of router prompt and from there you have to access the flash via sup-bootflash:

Yes when the switch is running in NATIVE mode there is config register value which need to be set on supervisor engine as well on MSFC. When the Native IOS boots on Cat6500, first supervisor engine boots and it takes the necessary part of image required for it to boot and then gives the control to MSFC to boot from same image.

I hope I am able to explain in very simple terms.

Regards,

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

You have been most helpful. Thank you!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card