Views
Helpful
Replies

SUP720 with 1800 W power supplies ????

dumlutimuralp
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We got one 6509 chassis with high speed fan. We have 2 1800W power supplies. Is it possible to power up a SUP720 model supervisor with 1800W power supplies in a combined mode ? Anyone has given this a shot ?

Thanks in advance.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You won't power up anything. The 6509 requires a minimum of 6000W.

You can use the 1800W as a door stopper. He he he ...

Leo

The 6500 does not require a minimum of 6000W. It will work with a 2500W. Indeed it could work with a 1300W depending on the supervisor in use eg. Sup1A, Sup2.

To the original poster. Never tried it but i believe it wouldn't power up even if in combined mode and it wouldn't be a very redundant setup :-)

Jon

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I stand corrected. Thanks Rob! :)

Many thanks to all of you !!!

Leo it's Jon and not Rob :)

Yes SUP 720 requires a minimum of 2500W power supply.

Never tried with lower power supplies.

-> Sushil

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Awww nuts! I need my coffee ... :P

Loe, you mean be@r (Australia) :)

Sushil,

Beer, coffee what makes the difference? You can take either one ANYTIME during the working day, right? Ha ha ha!!!

Oh lookie here ... It's BEER O'CLOCK already! Time for my "coffee". *Wink*, *Wink*

Hey Leo, here (in India), you can't take beer during office hours...only coffee..

This is the reason why I wanted PM facility here on NetPro, so that we could have taken this interesting discussion (coffee&beer offline).

BTW Dumlu, did you tried booting the switch with 1800W power supply, or you are planning to put 2500W?

-> Sushil

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just took a look at the Power Calculator tool. Minimal power supply it appears to know about is the 2500W, however from consumption shown for combined 2500W and 3000W (about 30% - for just sup720-3B alone!), and assuming 1800W scales, one would think there would be enough power for the sup (alone). Add a couple of line cards, though, and you quickly overload the either a 2500W or 3000W.

I.e. assuming there's not some other limitation, a combined 1800W might power a single sup720 and a line card or two.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco