Views
Helpful
Replies

Sup7E tengig VSS ports

pwmsonpbs
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running a pair of 4507R+E with single SUP7E in each.  IOS is 3.04.02

I have setup VSS between the sups and ports on a couple of WS-X4748-RJ45-E blades.

All works fine except only one of the tengig ports on each sup will come up.  I have two configured on each sup - 1/3/1 and 1/3/2 plus 2/3/1 and 2/3/2

I belive the issue is that we are using 1000BASE-T copper transceivers in the tengig ports.

I believe I saw somewhere(?) that if you do this then only 1 or two of the tengig ports can be used for a VSS channel on the sup7E.

Can someone verify for me?  I believe we need the SFP-H10GB-CU1M connectors instead.  Correct?

Thanks,

Phil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The VSL links need to be 10Gig ports.  1000Base-T copper is 1Gig.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The VSL links need to be 10Gig ports.  1000Base-T copper is 1Gig.

HTH

Reza,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Did I miss this in release notes or ???  I need to advise my customer as to how/why it was overlooked.

Thanks,

Phil

Hi Phil,

My mistake.  According to the config guide the 4500 does support 1Gig link for VSL,, but I think the reason for your not coming up is that you have a mix of 1Gig and 10Gig right?

The VSL EtherChannel supports both 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports.

We recommend that you use at least two of the 10 Gigabit Ethernet /1 Gigabit Ethernet ports to create the VSL between the two switches. You cannot combine 10 Gigabit Ethernet and 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports in a VSL port-channel.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15-1-2/XE_340/configuration/guide/config/vss.html

HTH

Reza,

The Sup7E has 4 10-gig ports, but they have 1Gig transceivers in them.

It was my understanding that one could use the 1G or 10G ports on the supervisor in addition to 1G or 10G ports on line cards.  I have two ports on each of two WS-X4748-RJ45-E blades in each chassis in the VSL in addition to two ports on each supervisor - or at least that is how I configured things.

I essentially have what is shown Figure 5-5 VSL Topology Example in your link.

Difference #1 is I'm using 1G links from the Sups and have the two active line cards instead of just one.

I will have my customer obtaing the SFP-H10GB-CU1M transceiver/cable combos and be done with it.

I do understand the need for 10G links.  All of the above is set up for burn-in and infant failure detection.

Thanks,
Phil

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card