Views
Helpful
Replies

SupE in Slot 4 does not show in inventory of 4507 E

planzone
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - (pardon the ignorance)

I believe this is a config issue. Since I basically unpacked everything mounted the chassis and inserted the cards. In an essence no config.

Anyhow, I notice amber light on the sup engine in slot 4.

No matter what I do, the redundant supervisor will not come active. It does not show up when you run "show inventory". I know the switch thinks it is present, because it shows both supervisors' TenGig interfaces. I had pulled the redundant Sup out hot, then plug it back in. There are log messages that show it being removed and show it being reinserted, but it does not show up in show inv.

I then swap the 2 Sups. The one that was the active in slot 3 previously became the active in slot 4, and the redundant Sup still would not show up. This at least proved that all of the slots are good. When I plugged the console into the redundant Sup, I get the prompt "rommon>" instead of "switch>".

I don't know if any of this is normal behavior. I did see on the switch that the Sup shows up in show inv. I dont possess deep knowledge of dual sup but perhaps redundancy sso needs to be configured?

The switch is new the chassis is 4507 E

the sups are WS-X45-SUP6-E

The rest of the slots are filled with the following: WS-X4648-RJ45V+E

and (1) WS-X4306-GB

19 Replies 19

I did.

Was able to boot like you said and the versions are the 12.2(40)SG.

what I have found that would happen now is if i type reload then one of the sups will come up in rommon again..

also when configuring for redundancy there is no SSO just rpr.

any other hints or tips.. ??

Look at the config register on the one that not coming up , should be either 0x2101 or 0x2102 . Or you can match it to what the supervisor that is loading ok is which is probably one of those 2 .

aminhaq
Level 1
Level 1

Please try to to upgrade the IOS to 12.2(44)SG or above for both the Sup.

I have observed the E-chassis does not work well with the lower IOS

I upgraded the supervisors to 12.2(46)SG.

Did this solve your problem?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card