Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervisor 6-E performance

jacinto1m
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am willing to buy a Cisco 4510 as per attachment, but I am not sure about the supervisor. I need to know whether its switching capacity is enough for my needs.

Basically I will have 7 x 48 ports GB cards!

My understanding is that I need 48 GB per slot, is that right?, The Supervisor 6-E performance chart says it has 24GB per slot, so I think this supervisor wouldn't make.

Is my analysis right?

Any help is much appreciated.

9 Replies 9

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Hi firstly I would say a 1:2 ratio is not THAT bad when it comes to Bandwidth. I run a 1:4 ratio in my DataCenter!

Do you have bandwidth analysis that clearly states that every single device that is connected to a 1Gb port will be using 100% of available bandwidth 100% of the time?

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Juan

It's not that simple.

It is not only dependant on the supervisor but also the linecard. So the supervisor 6-E can provide up to 24Gbps per slot but that doesn't mean all linecards can use the 24Gbps eg.

you have specified WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 but these linecards can only use 6Gbps per slot. It doesn't matter that the supervisor can provide 24Gbps per slot, that linecard can only use 6Gbps of it.

If you truly want full wirespeed you need the supervisor 7-E and only WS-X47xx cards (note some 47xx cards only support 24Gbps per slot). Whether or not you need wirespeed is only something you can say.

So with the 4500 it is a combination of the chassis + the supervisor + the linecards that determine the amount of bandwidth per slot. For full details please read this link on the 4500 modules which explains what each linecard is capable of -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2710/ps5494/product_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea.html

if you have any further questions then please fee free to ask.

Jon

Andrew and Jon,

Thanks for your answer!

One more question, it is not very clear for me which 47xx E series cards can handle 48Gbps.

Does this card support 48Gbps per slot?

WS-X4748-RJ45-E      Catalyst 4500 E-Series 48-Port 10/100/1000 Non-Blocking

Juan

The WS-X4748--RJ45-E will support 24Gbps per slot. See table 1 in the link i provided.

Jon

Jon,

So which card will support 48Gbps?

I think you need to have a look at the URL than Jon provided, but if I were to comment - you are looking for a card that supports 1:1 wire rate with the number of ports supported at 48 would be my guess.

Actually thats a good question.

If you look at the actual description of the WS-X4758-RJ45 it says it is non-blocking which suggests it can support 48Gbps per slot but then Table 1 contradicts that so it's a bit confusing.

I'll have a dig around but maybe someone else can clarify.

Jon

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2710/ps5494/product_data_sheet0900aecd802109ea.html

I think that table 1 (link above) says that if you have the 47xx cards in Chassis (4507R-E and 4510R-E) they will give just 24Gbps. But this is due to the chassis and not the card.

A.

The redundant chassis currently being offered currently - WS-C4507R-E and WS-C4510R-E - support 24 Gbps bandwidth per line card slot, whereas the new WS-C4507R+E and WS-C4510R+E chassis support 48 Gbps bandwidth per line card slot.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/qa_c67_610073.html

Please correct me if I am wrong?

if you have any further questions then please fee free to ask.

You charge a fee now Jon? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card