Views
Helpful
Replies

supervisor modules on catalyst switches

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Can anyone provide link for steps to replacing supervisor modules on 6500/4500 switches?

If both modules on a switch are to be replaced, what is the precaution or methods to be done.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gee ... That's not easy to answer. Can you provide more information?

In my case, I can cite examples if I have a SINGLE Sup720 per chassis but I have two chassis. Another is TWO Sup32 on a chassis.

Now the easy part, before you pull/insert the Sup blade, make sure you have the correct IOS in.

For the Sup32, make sure you don't have any configs in because it will copy the configs from the now-active blade.

Save all the configs, pull out the blade. Make sure you align the sides properly before pushing the blade in and screw it in (finger tight).

For the Sup720, I would passive interface all the link to move all data traffic to go to the secondary.

My humble opinion.

This one has 2 SupV cards on it.Both in SSO redundancy mode & am planning to replace both together.Any suggestions for steps to be done.

Thanks.

If you have TWO SupV in a chassis, replace the standby first and then the primary. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with the command to force the hot unit into standby. Could be something like "redundancy force reload" or something.

Thanks,doing so would the new supervisor sync up with the existing primary in terms of configuration & other parameters.So that i don't have to manually push the original config from maybe flash to new one!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: