Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervisor switchover

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I wanted to know that if i have 6509E chassis with 2 SUP-720. If i were to perform manual switchover, will there be any downtime or network disruption ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That is correct. It is a max of 3 seconds.

HTH

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

If your Sups are configured in SSO mode, you can fail over from primary to stand-by without any down time.

HTH

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

To add to Reza's posting, as he described, you shouldn't see any down time for the data plane, i.e. packet forwarding, however you might see a brief "hiccup" for some control plane activity.  E.g. if you were pinging the 6500 it might drop a ping.

Sir can you pls refer me a document which describes it in more detail. The document i read mentioned that there will be a downtime and network disruption.

Really appreciate your feedback

Sir its saying

During switchover, system control and routing  protocol execution is transferred from the active supervisor engine to  the redundant supervisor engine. The switch requires between 0 and 3  seconds to switchover from the active to the redundant supervisor  engine.

That means i can have downtime of max 3 seconds ?

That is correct. It is a max of 3 seconds.

HTH

Thanks alot Sir

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Sir its saying 

During switchover, system control and routing  protocol execution is transferred from the active supervisor engine to  the redundant supervisor engine. The switch requires between 0 and 3  seconds to switchover from the active to the redundant supervisor  engine.

That means i can have downtime of max 3 seconds ?

BTW, that's under SSO.  For L2 dataplane the same section notes "This type of switchover ensures that Layer 2 traffic is not interrupted."

If you read the next section, "NSF Operation", this features addresses L3 forwarding with little or no interruption.  (BTW NSF stands for non-stop forwarding.)

So, in an ideal situation you'll have no data forwarding downtime (i.e. non-stop forwarding).

However, as noted in my first post, NSF deals with dataplane, other control plane functions may be interrupted.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card