Views
Helpful
Replies

Supervisory2T VPLS support

HUBERT RESCH
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,
SUP2T should now natilely support VPLS, but I nowhere can find scalability infos about VPLS support

I saw a presales preso where they mention VPLS-support up to 16K VPLS-Instances but as well on CCO the info that just 4K instaces are supported under

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/white_paper_c11-663645.html

Cisco Catalyst 6500 running as a PE can run as many as 4K VPLS instances with Supervisor Engine 2T. It can have multiple local Layer 2 ports, and as many as 256 VCs in its flooding domain. If remote (peer) MAC is learned, packet is sent using unicast VC. Incoming Layer 2 frame can be dot1q tagged for VLAN mode or both tagged frame and native frame for port mode.

Whats the correct number ?

I also cannot find a info about maximum Packets forwarded through VPLS, I just saw something about 60/12 Mpps for EoMPLS, are there any numbers

for VPLS ?

Regarding supported features on the datasheet I am missing RFC4761 VPLS Autodiscovery via BPG

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/white_paper_c11-663645.html

Table 1. VPLS IETF Standards Compliance

RFC

Category

Description

RFC4026

Informational

Provider-provisioned VPN terminology

RFC3809

Informational

Requirements for Layer 2 provider-provisioned VPNs

draft-martini-l2circuit-trans-mpls-19.txt

Draft

Transport of Layer 2 frames over MPLS

RFC3985

Informational

Pseudowire emulation edge-to-edge (PWE3) architecture

RFC4385

Standards track

Pseudowire emulation edge-to-edge (PWE3) control word for use over an MPLS PSN

RFC4447

Standards track

Pseudowire setup and maintenance using the Label Distribution Protocol (LDP)

RFC 4448

Standards track

Encapsulation methods for transport of Ethernet over MPLS networks

Is it just not mentioned or not supported

In the datasheet I also found following statement

In CFC mode the 67XX series cards will perform the VPLS encapsulation in the Supervisor Engine 2T. In DFC mode the VPLS encapsulation is performed by the downlink 67XX, 68XX or 69XX Series cards and not in the uplink-facing cards such as with Supervisor Engine 720, which also requires SIP or ES+ to perform VPLS functionality

Does it mean if using LC mit DFC for VPLS support we still need ES+/SIP LC ?

Thanks

Hubert

1 Reply 1

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hubert,

I'll try to answer the questions I know.

1. How many VPLS instances on Sup2T systems: 4k or 16k ?

Well I found from a BU's doc another figure ... 2k.   I'll try to look further. Maybe you can open a TAC case and ask the TAC engineer to contact the BU in order to have a final answer.

2. VPLS performances on Sup2T systems.

30Mpps in CFC mode (all LCs have CFC).

48Mpps in DFC mode (all LCs have DFC4).

3. VPLS Autodiscovery BGP RFC4761 support.

Not supported yet but it is the roadmap. Cannot tell you when it will be available though. I found a vague reference to middle 2012 but it is not an official commitment.

4. VPLS with DFC card and Sup2T.

VPLS will be natively supported on Sup2T based systems without the need of extra WAN cards (SIP/ES+) etc. By the way WAN cards are not even supported on Sup2T boxes.

The document seems to be misleading as it simply says that encapsulation happens on ingress downlink card, therefore IF YOU HAVE A SUP720 based system, you need to have a WAN card facing the core. This is not the case with Sup2T as encapsulation happens either on PFC4 in CFC mode or in DFC4 in DFC mode.

hope this helps,

Riccardo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco