Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

SVI vs. real interface on L3 switches

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the difference between a SVI and real interface in terms of routing on a layer-3 switch

Basically my question is this: is there any difference between a SVI with a single switchport in the corresponding vlan, and a port that has the IP address configured directly on it?

I know that the MAC address will be different (the SVI should have the next available MAC from the layer-3 engine, and the real interface will have the MAC of the real interface), any other reason to favor one over the other?

Thanks

2 REPLIES
Silver

Re: SVI vs. real interface on L3 switches

Hello,

No big difference between routed interface and SVI. Both of them are considered L3 interfaces. However, routed interface is usally used when connecting to a router for example where you have only one port going to the router. So you don't need to complicate things by creating an SVI and assigning the port to the same VLAN of SVI. Instead, you can set the interface as routed and assign it an ip address.

Hope this clarifies your question,

Appreciate your rating,

Regards,

Re: SVI vs. real interface on L3 switches

Hi,

I have answered the same kind of question in an earlier thread.Please have a look at it:

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Network%20Infrastructure&topic=LAN%2C%20Switching%20and%20Routing&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.1ddd2216

You question is somewhat related to the post above and I am sure that this will help you better understanding the implications of using the both type of configurations.

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Views
Helpful
Replies