Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Swapping a Sup card for a 4507R

I currently have a 4507R with one Sup 2 card in it.

I bought a Sup 5 card with a Netflow daughter board to replace the Sup 2 card.

My question is can I install the Sup 5 card in the redundant slot ahead of time and then via IOS command flip from one card to the other reducing down time or do I need to down the 4507R switch altogether and then just swap out the cards.

The reason for trying to reduce the down time is that there are 3 regional call centers phone systems run through this switch and it is hard to schedule an outage.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: Swapping a Sup card for a 4507R

Hi Friend,

If you insert a sup 5 card into the chassis which is already running with sup 2 it will not come online and will stay in UNKNOWN/Other state the reason is 2 seperate kind of supervisors cannot exist working at a same time in a chassis.

So you have to bring down the switch completely to replace the card and make it working back again with sup 5.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

1 REPLY
Cisco Employee

Re: Swapping a Sup card for a 4507R

Hi Friend,

If you insert a sup 5 card into the chassis which is already running with sup 2 it will not come online and will stay in UNKNOWN/Other state the reason is 2 seperate kind of supervisors cannot exist working at a same time in a chassis.

So you have to bring down the switch completely to replace the card and make it working back again with sup 5.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate helpfull post

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content