cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Swapping Supervisor Engine from 4507R Chassis to 4506?

jefferybjohnson
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Chassis an 4506 and a 4507R (newer). I need more slots, so that why I am wanting to move the ethernet cards from one and vice versa. The cards in the 4507R are WS-x4516 supervisor engine V, and a WS-x4548-GB RJ45. The power supply in the 4507R are 2x1400. The blades in the 4506 chassis are WS-x4515, and WS-x4148-RJ. Will this work if I exchange the cards between the two chassis. Also I wasnt sure what the R in the 4507R stands for?

Thanks

Jeff

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jeff

The R means redundant in that the 4507R and 4510R support dual supervisors whereas the other 4500 chassis only support one supervisor.

If you swap the cards over bear in mind that it would help to make sure the cards go in the same slots in the other chassis - that way your config would still work.

Jon

View solution in original post

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Jeff,

This can be done quite easily. You will need to modify the interface configurations accordingly when you move the cards. The "R" stands for redundancy which allows you to have two supervisors running active/standby in the same chassis. Non "R" chassis will only accommodate one supervisor.

HTH,

Mark

P.S. You will need to run 12.1(19)EW or later on the 4506 to support the WS-x4548-GB RJ45 line card.

Jeff

The PoE will work but you need to make sure you have the correct power supplies to drive them.

Gigabit ports will work fine in either chassis.

Jon

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jeff

The R means redundant in that the 4507R and 4510R support dual supervisors whereas the other 4500 chassis only support one supervisor.

If you swap the cards over bear in mind that it would help to make sure the cards go in the same slots in the other chassis - that way your config would still work.

Jon

Thanks Jon for your quick response, I really appreciate it. The Eth blade on the 4507R are gig and Poe but not so for the 4506 do you think this would still work?

Jeff

The PoE will work but you need to make sure you have the correct power supplies to drive them.

Gigabit ports will work fine in either chassis.

Jon

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Jeff,

This can be done quite easily. You will need to modify the interface configurations accordingly when you move the cards. The "R" stands for redundancy which allows you to have two supervisors running active/standby in the same chassis. Non "R" chassis will only accommodate one supervisor.

HTH,

Mark

P.S. You will need to run 12.1(19)EW or later on the 4506 to support the WS-x4548-GB RJ45 line card.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco