Views
Helpful
Replies

Swiich requirement comparison

FutureZone77
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

Good day. I need your advice on our upcoming new office infra design. There are 80 users, 45 users and 120 users need to sit in different storey of the building. So need to decide how many L2 switch and L3 switch for this project.

1)Is there any recommendation based on certain requirement of speed, throughput, etc?

2)I am thinking of L2 for C2960-48PST (but how many) so far and no idea for L3 model and how many quantity I need to propose.

Please guide me.. Thnks.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to provide more information. 

1.  How many people per floor?

2.  How are you connecting your servers? 

3.  What is your distribution switch?

4.  How do you inter-connect the rest of the floors?

Hello,

Thanks for your input. Below my answer.

1) There are 3 floor (1st 125, 2nd 120, 3rd 70)

2) L2 Switch direct to Server as there are 2 server at each floor.

3) No distribution switch so far in design

4) Cat5e connection

What is your budget as this will dictate the switch range you can look at?

It would look at 2x Layer 3 stackable switches to act as your distribution switches for intervlan routing etc.

Then just some layer 2 switches for each floor.

The models will depend on the requirements.

1) There are 3 floor (1st 125, 2nd 120, 3rd 70)
2) L2 Switch direct to Server as there are 2 server at each floor.

Ok, I'll agree with Devil's response (below):  What is the state of your budget.  Do you want "enterprise" grade solution or a "shoe-string" solution?

4) Cat5e connection

What are the linear distances of the Cat5E cable runs.  I am not talking about a single dimension measure, I meant vertical as well as horizontal/diagonal distance.  Next question is HOW MANY Cat5E connection(s) are you planning to utilize per floor?

Hi FutureZone7, I can try to give you recommendation on the best products to suit your needs and tailor fit it to best fit your requirements please send me an email at fguasque@cisco.com so we can proceed further. hope to hear from you soon!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: