Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch 3560x cannot be accessed via Console port

jberthin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team & Engineers:

I need your help accessing to a Switch Catalyst 3560x 48T. via Console, either the Regular RJ45 port, or the USB type B.

Prior engineer tthat managed this switch, has erased the IOS so switch cannot boot regularly.

Also, it seems that when he was trying to load the IOS via XModem, he probably has changed the speed of the serial port to 115,200, or some other parameter, and the real status now is that switch cannot be accesed even pressing the mode button in front of the switch.

Could you please give us any idea about how to reset the console speed in the switch, so at least pressing the mode button later we could be able to load the IOS via xmodem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Javier

5 Replies 5

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could try all combinations in your client to see if you can connect:

75, 110, 300, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600 and 115200

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John,

Thank you very much for your answer.

I went through all possible BPS speed, even considering the 3 FLOW CONTROL options, the ones that are: None, Xon Xoff, and Hardware options. but none of them worked.

One of the fist time that I tried before, with my Hypertminal set to 9600 bps, 8, N, 1, None options choosen in the configuracion menu, I read on the screen some garbage chararcters, what pointed me to think there must be a speed error.

Since then, I've tried to set mainly to 9600 bps and 115200, but still no access.

As you know the Catalys 3650x does have the RJ45 and also the USB-type B  console ports, both of them when I boot up the suich, seem to work, bacause there is a green light that turns on when the cable is connected. but I do not have any character on the screen that could lead me ti manage the Switch.

A am not sure if you have another idea.

Thans in advances.

Javier F. Berthin H.

Hi John again:

The link that I am attaching you to this mail, is in relationship of doing some managment, but main problem resides on the IOS interaction with the user, however, I Cant go further because there is no console traffic.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/hardware/installation/guide/HIGOVERV.html#wp1251601

When the switch starts booting up, I cannot even see the POST test or any text being displayed on the screen,

The System LED starts blinking between green and amber colors for a while, about 20 seconds, next it flashes faster for 1 second, turns off for another second, and finishes turning green permanently. Ihave tried connecting the ethernet managment port, connecting with cross cable with my computer but nothing happen.

Thanks in advance  for your help

Javier

Hi Javier,

As a last resort, can you try using a different terminal emulator?  Putty and Tera Term are free but if you have a license SecurCRT is the best.

If not, maybe an RMA is your best option since this is a 3560X and it should be covered under warranty

HTH

Out of curiosity, and I just learned this the other day, did you download the USB driver for your computer to be able to communicate with the switch? I'll search for a link to see if I can find where you can download it...

Edit:

Try this:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282979308&flowid=2622&softwareid=282855122&release=3.1&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card