Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch 4507R hardware architecture

hugo.picado
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am concern about how a switch 4507R connects each card to its backplane. I have two, and I want to be sure I am using the backplane speed correctly. I mean, if I connect all my servers to just one card, will I have performance issues? I read a slot has 6Gigs, does this mean I should distribuite my server across all the cards?

Thank a lot for any link to find the information I need, or any comment to clarify this.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

You are correct each slot has six 1G FDX (12G)connections to the Supervisor switch fabric. It depends on the line card being used. If using a 24 port 4524-GB then you have a 4:1 over subscription. with a 48 port linecard 8:1 over - subscription. Should all ports be bursting at same time, guaranteed rate of 125Mbps for 8:1 and 250Mbps for 4:1. Keep in mind also, depending on supervisor throughput ranges from 48Mpps (Sup II+) (packets per second) to 102Mpps (SupV-10GE)

I would try and measure the amount of traffic to/from the servers to determine if over -subscription is an issue.

Most application servers (exceptions may include ftp, backups) rarely sustain gigabit rates over a extended periods.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ropethic
Level 4
Level 4

You are correct each slot has six 1G FDX (12G)connections to the Supervisor switch fabric. It depends on the line card being used. If using a 24 port 4524-GB then you have a 4:1 over subscription. with a 48 port linecard 8:1 over - subscription. Should all ports be bursting at same time, guaranteed rate of 125Mbps for 8:1 and 250Mbps for 4:1. Keep in mind also, depending on supervisor throughput ranges from 48Mpps (Sup II+) (packets per second) to 102Mpps (SupV-10GE)

I would try and measure the amount of traffic to/from the servers to determine if over -subscription is an issue.

Most application servers (exceptions may include ftp, backups) rarely sustain gigabit rates over a extended periods.

Thank you very much.

So I will take care of my backup server and the server it is backing up now, and the servers that make heavy data replication.

Do you have any link where I can read more architecture related information? Things like queueing and other are interesting to me.

I have a SupIV

Thank you again.

attached

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card