Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch 48 ports with 10 Gbps port -copper

Hi,

Is there a switch that handle its 24/48 ports at 10 Gbps with copper?. I have checked  3750 X but just handle 2 SFP with 10 Gbps.

The requirement is to use this switch as CORE and connect 12 switches (access) using  its uplinks at 10 Gbps  with copper ( in this case 3750 X can be used).

any recommendation?,  using copper at 10 Gbps the distance is still 100 m?

regards.

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nexus 2232 with a Nexus 5K to control and configure the 2232.

Cisco Nexus 2000 Series Fabric Extenders

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can it be a chssis based switch, if yes, there is 48 port 10Gig copper for the 6500 series

have a look:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps708/product_bulletin_c25-575203_ps4835_Products_Bulletin.html

HTH

Hi Reza,

Thanks a lot for you time and recommendations.  5 for you :-)

Its a good option, the problem is that is very expensive...$$$$

anyway I take into account.

regards

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

filiberto.aguirre wrote:

Hi,

Is there a switch that handle its 24/48 ports at 10 Gbps with copper?. I have checked  3750 X but just handle 2 SFP with 10 Gbps.

The requirement is to use this switch as CORE and connect 12 switches (access) using  its uplinks at 10 Gbps  with copper ( in this case 3750 X can be used).

any recommendation?,  using copper at 10 Gbps the distance is still 100 m?

regards.

Nexus 3064 with Twinax copper cable SFP's.

And no - you're not going to get 100 metres at 10 gig over copper off a Cisco device. Some manufacturers claim to suppoet 10GBaseT, but I'm yet to find one which will work at close to 100 metres. The longest support I can find for a Cisco device is 10 metres. Power requirements for running 10 gig over copper are quite large, so not a lot of switches will support it at this point in time.

Cheers.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

There's a new module for the 3750X, the C3KX-NM-10GT.

10GB-T Module

The new Cisco 10G Base-T module is hot-swapable and can operate at either 10GE or GE speed (with manual configuration).

Table 5 shows the cable types and supported lengths of the new Cisco 10G Base-T module.

Table 5. 10GB-T Cable Types and Supported Lengths

Cable Type

Supported Length

Category 7a

100 meters

Category 7

100 meters

Category 6

55 meters

Category 6a*

100 meters

* Category 6a requires 3db Insertion Loss margin at 250MHz.

Joe,

But this module only support 2 10Gig copper interfaces.  The OP is looking for 24/48

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Reza Sharifi wrote:

Joe,

But this module only support 2 10Gig copper interfaces.  The OP is looking for 24/48

Oops!  (Thanks Reza)

In that case, looks like a chassis would be needed, although if only 24 10 gig copper ports are really needed, then two "4900M 8 port 10GBase-T (RJ-45) half cards" with eight X2-10GB-T modules might be considered, see:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6021/product_bulletin_c25-575166.html and http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6574/product_data_sheet0900aecd801f92aa.html.

Hi Joseph,

I really appreciate your time for giving me this option (4900M).

I'll check it.

regards

JosephDoherty wrote:

There's a new module for the 3750X, the C3KX-NM-10GT.

10GB-T Module

#

The new Cisco 10G Base-T module is hot-swapable and can operate at either 10GE or GE speed (with manual configuration).

#

Table 5 shows the cable types and supported lengths of the new Cisco 10G Base-T module.

#

Table 5. 10GB-T Cable Types and Supported Lengths

#

#

Cable Type

#

Supported Length

#

Category 7a

#

100 meters

#

Category 7

#

100 meters

#

Category 6

#

55 meters

#

Category 6a*

#

100 meters

#

* Category 6a requires 3db Insertion Loss margin at 250MHz.

Cool. I couldn't find that one for looking. I might bear that in mind for a future deployment possibility!

Thanks for pointing this out.

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco