Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch ACL

jparnold.907
Level 1
Level 1

Good Evening,

I am attempting to create an ACL to block all traffic from WorkstationA to WorkstationB but allow everything else through.  In this environment I only have rights to modify the configuration on SwitchB which is a 3750x running an IPbase image. I have already given this a few shots but I can't seem to get this one.

Here is an example:

I have tried the following on switch B:

ip access-list extended BLOCKA

deny ip host 192.168.1.20 any

permit ip any any

----

(conf int port that WorkstationB resides on)

ip access-group BLOCKA in

Is there any way to make this work when you only have access to SwitchB in this example?

Thank you in advance!

6 Replies 6

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7
Hi, Try applying the acl on the interface of router B that connect to router A. As per your acl the source is workstation A IP address and this will have to be blocked as it enter router B as you have placed acl inbound direction. Hope that helps. Regards Najaf

Thank you for the reply Najaf.  Unfortunately I only have access to configure SwitchB.  I have no control over any other devices in the topology.  Any other ideas? 

Sorry,

My mistake. I read as you have access to router B and not switch B :-(

Since you have your switch configured as L2 your acl will not have any affect

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Is switch-B a layer-2 or a layer-3 device?

If it is layer-2, your ACL is not going to block host-A

HTH

Thank you for the reply Reza.  This 3750x is running IPBase image but is not really performing any Layer 3 functions.  It is just hanging off of RouterB which is handling all layer 3.

u shud use vlan acl (vacl) to achieve d desired result on switch. since it is 3750-x it supports vacl.

config can b as follows:

ip access-list extended BLOCK_A

permit ip source dest

ip access-list extended PERMIT_ANY

permit ip any any

vlan access-map A_To_B 10

match ip address BLOCK_A

action drop

vlan access-map A_To_B 20

match ip address PERMIT_ANY

action forward

vlan filter A_To_B vlan-list source vlan id

Relpy me if it solves ur issue

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card