cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch and Router Port - Default Administrative Status

jabercromby
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to look up (via CL Lookup Tool - not sure if thats the appropriate venue).

As to when you configure.

1. A Switch out of the box what the default admin status is of all ports

(shutdown or not).

2. A Router out of the box what default admin status is of all ports.

(shutdown or not).

3. On MLS(s) the same as well.

I would really like to be able to be pointed in the right direction via official cisco docs for this vs. spoon fed though.

Respectfully

James A. Abercromby II

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

James,

As you requested, no spoon feeding will occur. Go to cisco.com and select the documentation for a switch and a router. Under that product, you will find the command reference - note: for routers you will need to look under IOS, not the product itself.

Once on the intended product or IOS command reference, look for the command shutdown and it will tell you the default status...

ediortiz,

Thanks man, I don't know why I kept thinking along other lines.

Yes indeed.

Appreciate it.

Jim

Mr. Ortiz,

I just read all the documentation for the 'shutdown' command. From what I see here interfaces are 'enabled' by

default.

We on a test lab I have running 3640s, running the following images and modules, I see the OPPOSITE behavior.

i.e. DISABLED by default.

12.4(25a

12.2(26c)

NM-1FE-TX

Now with an NM-16ESW mod installed those ports

are ENABLED by default.

JAAII

I can't find a document at this moment but it is my understanding that L2 ports are enabled by default while L3 ports are shutdown by default.

You will see this behavior on Cat6k switches as the default switchport status is L3.

___

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card