Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch bandwidth question

dan_track
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've just installed a couple of new switches into an existing network. The switches run VLAN's and STP. The problem I have is that the new switches are capable of gigabit speeds, however servers on different switches can only transfer transfer data at fastethernet speeds. I honestly don't know why this is the case.

Could somebody please help me debug this.

Thanks in advance

Dan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the update.

I haven't worked on the CGESM. Just had a look at the datasheets from cisco.

Can you check the following.

The hardware configuration of the uplink ports?

Are they 10/100/1000 ports or only 1000 mbps ports.

If they are of 10/100/1000 kindly check the speed/duplex that is negotiated on the uplink ports between the switches. It could be possible that they have negotiated a slower speed.

-VJ

View solution in original post

Show spanning tree blocked ports will tell you which ports are shutdown .

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

network.king
Level 4
Level 4

Hi ,

Its not only the switches switching capacity , but also your servers capability in transfer of data. Is that your servers are connected via fiber to the switches or via RJ-45 ( But RJ-45 is also capable of operating at Gig speed ) . Pls check by connecting two servers back to back and see wheter you are getting similar speed while connecting to switches.

Hope this helps

regards

vanesh k

vijayasankar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I assume that the server have gigabit network card installed in them.

If so and still the server are operating in 100 mbps speed, then check the speed/duplex settings of switch port and the same setting on your servers NIC.

If both are set to auto negotiation and getting wrongly detected, then try forcing them in switch port and in the sever's Nic.

-VJ

Hi

We have HP blades and between each blade you achieve gigabit speeds, the blades are all connected via an internal bus to the a pair of cisco CGESM switches. Between each enclosure each switch is connected to the other switch through fibre, so between each enclosure there is fibre connections. All servers have gigbait connections.

Any ideas?

Kind Regards

Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the update.

I haven't worked on the CGESM. Just had a look at the datasheets from cisco.

Can you check the following.

The hardware configuration of the uplink ports?

Are they 10/100/1000 ports or only 1000 mbps ports.

If they are of 10/100/1000 kindly check the speed/duplex that is negotiated on the uplink ports between the switches. It could be possible that they have negotiated a slower speed.

-VJ

Hi

Thanks for your replies. I just checked and the ports were set to 100 even though they were meant to be automatically set, I've set them to 1000 now. Thanks for your help.

Incidentally how can I tell which port is forwarding and which is blocked wrt STP?

Thanks

Dan

Hi

Configure the port priority. There is link for c3750: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00803947dd.html#wp1039280

I think, the same should be for 65xx.

Show spanning tree blocked ports will tell you which ports are shutdown .

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card