Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Switch configuration change & VTP

Hi,

I intend to change some configuration of oneof Coreswitch (6500) which is the standby member from HSRPgroup.

My concern is, if i change it in running powered mode, will this be affected by vtp client overwrite & other vtp issues.

Should i remove the uplink connections, configure the switch & then power it up?

Even then , would it be overwritten by other client ( edge switch ) configuration somehow during power on.

Or should i power on back after changing the mode to transparent & later put it back to client & server.

Please help to clear this confusion

Thanks.

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Switch configuration change & VTP

Hello Sunny,

if you change the VTP domain name and/or use VTP mode transparent the switch retains the current vlan database and beco mes indipendent from the others.

If you then reverts back to the original VTP domain name and a vtp mode client or server the vlan database will be updated by the others.

However, I didn't understand what is the change you would like to do: it is a good idea to explain what exactly you want to do: HSRP is a L3 feature and any change to it is not related to VTP that is a signalling protocol at OSI L2.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Views
Helpful
Replies