Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Switch Configuration Recommendations for Small Home Network

I have recently purchased a used Cisco Catalyst 3512XL switch (12.0 firmware) for a small home network (~3 PCs, 2 printers, server with GbE NIC, WAP). I currently have the default settings, but I want to take advantage of all the functions that the firmware offers that would be relevant to such a network; i.e., user accounting would be useless, but storm control might be useful in case of a host on the network becoming compromised with malware causing a broadcast flood.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Everyone's tags (3)
2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Switch Configuration Recommendations for Small Home Network

I'd be careful using 3500XL with modern or latest generation of Gig NICs.  I was involved with a multi-million dollar project to roll out new PCs with Gig cards (Intel).  I was with the network team and we noticed that there are some cases where the ports would just flap like mad!  We managed to fix by hard-coding speed and duplex.

Enable spanning-tree portfast and BPDU guard would be good.  Storm control on a XL switch?  Never thought that it was supported but I could be wrong.  Regularly clean the fan blades because the accumulation of compressed dusts all over the fans can strain the bearings.  The accumulated dusts plus a very weak bearing can be very noisy plus can cause the bearings to fail.

Re: Switch Configuration Recommendations for Small Home Network

I would consider just picking up a used 3550/24 if its just for a small home network. The 3550 will do everything you want then some. If space is an issue and you want a switch a little smaller then consider the 2490 switch, it is an 8 port switch you can sit on a pc and will also run all nessesary features.

Please rate if posting help.

Kind Regards

Views
Helpful
Replies