Views
Helpful
Replies

switch hw failure not in the logs

jorge.s
Level 1
Level 1

I've a question.

I'm having a Cisco Switch, CAT2950, nothing new, but where I have a fan issue, but I only realized about that once I seen the orange red on the status led of the Switch. Checking on the log's, via telnet, I don't find the problem anywhere, is like there is no issue at all, but once I get connected with console cable, I do see a error message of the fan failure. Is there a way to activate those servers to be coming also into log and syslog?

Thanks

~Jorge

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jorge

It may be that the logging level on the console is at one level and does include the error message about the fan and that the logging level sent to syslog is different and does not include these messages. Can you post the parts of the config of the switch that specify logging? It might also be helpful if you would post the first section of output of show log (done from the console) and these lines will generally describe the logging destinations and logging levels.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

pe10015# sh log

Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 1 messages rate-limited, 0 flushes,

0 overruns)

Console logging: level debugging, 129 messages logged

Monitor logging: level notifications, 0 messages logged

Buffer logging: level notifications, 6 messages logged

Exception Logging: size (4096 bytes)

File logging: disabled

Trap logging: level warnings, 69 message lines logged

Logging to 10.56.1.195, 69 message lines logged

Log Buffer (50000 bytes):

Sep 15 18:14:59: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by ioswrite on vty1 (1

0.61.177.100)

Sep 15 18:31:23: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by ioswrite on vty0 (1

0.56.1.195)

Sep 15 19:41:18: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/7

, changed state to down

Sep 15 19:41:19: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/7, changed state to dow

n

Jorge

Thank you for posting the additional information. As I guessed there are differences in the logging level. On the console the logging level is set to debugging (level 7) and it gets all messages (Console logging: level debugging). The logging level for Buffered logging is notifications (level 5) and so it would not see any messages of level 6 or 7 (Buffer logging: level notifications). And the logging level for syslog is warning (level 4) and so it would not see any messages of level 5, or 6, or 7 (Trap logging: level warnings). I do not know what the severity level was for the message about the fan failure. If you post the exact message then we might be able to figure out its severity level.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: