cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch L3 performance

billybjo1
Level 3
Level 3

I'm trying to find out if (for example) a 3750 with 2 10gb interfaces could run L3 routing at wire speed. Just basic routing between 2 subnets, no services.

The reason being it could be a significant reduction in cost in comparison to an ASR1002 doing a similar job.

I can't find any specific performance information on the switches at L3.

thanks for any help.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Peformance often can be found somewhere within device datasheets.  You need to look for PPS and fabric bandwidth.  Since you're describing 10 gig, I assume your 3750 is an E or X series.  Both, if I recall correctly, have wire-speed capacity for all their ports including their 10 gig.  (The the original 3750 series were not always wire-speed capable.)

If you don't need 3750 stacking, you might also look into the 3560 and/or 4948 with 10 gig uplinks.

PS:

Found an old Cisco switch performance summary fact sheet (attached).

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are NOT doing any MPLS, then yes, I agree with Joseph, the 3560X/3750X with IP Services feature set will do.  Take note that the 10 Gbps network module is additional option.  The "X" series also have a dedicated module (with two 10 Gbps SFP+ ports) that will do MACSec upstream and downstream.

Will you be doing Netflow or NAT-ing?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card