Views
Helpful
Replies

switch location

tahir1234
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all !!!

1- In a scenario in which 12 Cisco layer 3 switches are stacked , how to find out that a particular workstation is attached with what switch ?

2- Say , the workstation is connected to switch 1, & I am log into switch 10, I will see the MAC address of that particular workstation in switch 10 also. How to determine the actual switch the workstation is connected with ?

3- How to know the particular port is not workstation port rather it is trunk port.?

Thanks to all for indeapth explaination.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Your scenario is NOT valid:  You can't stack more than 9 switches.

Thanks for my correction in the scenario. Now suppose for 9 switches anyway,

vvasisth
Level 1
Level 1

as you mentioned yes you can not have more than 9 switches in a stack

the moment you connect switches in a stack they start acting as one logical unit

which means if you console into any one of them you will be redirected to the msters console and sasme goes with the telnet session

just check the mac add table and you will come to know the port to which your pc is connected.

This link has all necessary procedures when managing switch stacks:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3750/12220se/3750scg/swstack.htm

Hope that helps.

regards,

Varun

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you say "stack" can you be specific?  Are you talking about GigaStack or SmartStack?

Can you provide me with the config?

The reason why I'm asking because this post is the 3rd I've seen for the past 5 days and I'm suspicious that this could be a school work.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card