Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch management IP address

Hello,

I have layer 3 switch and I want to manage it through telnet.  If I have a SVI with ip address 10.89.22.3  255.255.255.0  will the ip default gateway  command work if I want to telnet from another vlan on another switch and also does the ip default gateway ip address needs to be on the same network as 10.89.22.3.  Also this layer 3 switch is trunk to another switch that has SVIs configure and running eigrp. Will the ip default gateway ip address be one of the svi ip address on the other switch that is trunk to? 

Any Suggestions...

3 Replies 3

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

You use the ip default-gateway command to set the L3 next-hop from your switch. This device will be responsible for routing packets for remote destinations. It needs to be in the same subnet as the SVI.

If the other switch is the closest L3 hop then use that as the gateway for the other switch. This is from the Config Guide for 2960:

Step 5

ip default-gateway ip-address

Enter the IP address of the next-hop router interface that is directly connected to the switch where a default gateway is being configured. The default gateway receives IP packets with unresolved destination IP addresses from the switch.

Once the default gateway is configured, the switch has connectivity to the remote networks with which a host needs to communicate.

Note When your switch is configured to route with IP, it does not need to have a default gateway set.

Daniel Dib

CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.

Hi Daniel,

Need to confirm below network design

We  have layer 2 switch acting as VTP client  and it has SVI and we need to manage the switch via ssh and it has ( ip default-gateway ip address) command and in my case the ip address of default gateway is not directly connected to layer  2 switch is this network design ok?

Regards

MAhesh

If you have multiple L2 hops, that is fine. As long as you have end to end communication to reach the gateway. If you could provide a digram that would clarify things.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

Please rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card