cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch management ip question

rodman.frowert
Level 1
Level 1

Quick question concerning a management ip question on a switch. Does a management ip need to be set for each and every vlan on a switch? In other words, say I have Vlan 10 and Vlan 20. Do I need to do a:

interface vlan 10 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

interface vlan 20 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

Logically I would think I would have to as how would the hosts be able to connect to the switch via layer 3 (if they need to for some reason)? But the problem here is that this would eat up a lot of ip addresses on one piece of hardware if a switch had 10 or so vlans on it...

Or does everyone typically just assign one managment ip for a switch for ONE vlan and, if a host needs to connect to the switch for management via layer 3, they must be in the vlan the management ip is set for?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the switch is serving only Layer2 features, you only need one Layer3 interface for management services.

Keep, in mind, this Layer3 interface must be reachable from remote.

Yes, I should have been more clear. Say this switch is an access layer switch only, then it only needs one IP address on one of its vlans...

Configuring the IP addresses properly downstream via either the MLS or router should provide remote L3 connections. Even for hosts on the L2 switch but outside of the management IP vlan, correct?

You got it.

I appreciate the help, bud!

I wish the cisco press books were a little more "helpful". Yes, they go into major detail, but real world situations are more helpful than going on and on about things I really don't need to know about...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card