Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch :- management vlan versus cluster management vlan

shahedvoicerite
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I want to change the management vlan on a 3500XL.

I have read that in L2 switches

A. There can be only 1 "interface vlan" up/up

B. The active interface IS the management interface.

However, on a 2950 and 3500XL, it looks like I need to change the "cluster management vlan"

Now, in my case, the switch is stan-alone. So its in its own cluster (or its the cluster commander)....

Issuing the command to change the cluster management vlan, moves the IP address from vlan1 to the new vlan

It looks exactly the same as doing it manually.

So, my question is, does this cluster management command required to change the management vlan for NON clustering purposes ??

My scenarios is :-

vlan 1

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

shutdown

vlan 40

ip address 10.1.40.1 255.255.255.0

What I want to achieve is ping the ip address of the active VLAN. ie 10.1.40.1 .

This does not seem to work, with a host attached to access port with switchport access vlan 40.

I am pretty sure if I change the cluster management vlan, it will work (will have to wait a day or two to test)

But is that really the solution ?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Shahed,

>> So, my question is, does this cluster management command required to change the management vlan for NON clustering purposes ??

it is not needed as you have noted you just need to define the new vlan 40 (L2 object) to allow it on trunk uplinks and to configure and enable new SVI interface vlan 40 ( L3 object)

sh vlan id 40 must give you an output or the L2 object does not exist.

if you use VTP it will be enough to configure vlan 40 on a VTP server

Knowledge of vlan 40 is not enough you need to check that is allowed on L2 switch uplinks (both sides)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks,

But, there are no trunks.. just 1 host on an access port, beloging to vlan 40

And yes, the port is assigned to vlan 40, and vlan 40 does exist locally on the switch.

My problem is :-

I cannot seem to ping from a host with IP address say 10.1.40.xx (on switchport access vlan 40)  to the ip address of vlan 40 (say 10.1.40.1) !

Now, it just occured to me, that the problem could be that the host's subnet and default gateway are not correctly configured !

Unfortunately I will have to wait until Thurdays  to confirm :-(

Thanks again

Hello Shahed,

I agree that the PC might have the wrong mask, the gateway does not play any role if they are in the same subnet

>> and vlan 40 does exist locally on the switch.

you can check with

sh int vlan 40

if it is up/up you are fine on the switch and also the L2 object vlan40 exists.

also

sh spanning-tree vlan 40

can be of help

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card