cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch not prompting the when i enter to config terminal

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

I have got 2950, in one of switch, when i enter in to configure terminal i should get 2950(config)# prompt, but i am not getting that, any changes has to be done?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Anand

I am glad that my suggestion was able to help you resolve your problem. And thank you for posting back indicating that you had found a solution to your problem. It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and then read about the solution to the problem. It would make this thread even more useful if you would use the check mark to indicate that you had found a solution so that other readers would know that an answer had provided the solution.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Anand,

Looks to be strange. Can you update what do you get when you enter "config t"?

Ankur

thanks for the response ankur, here the process is.... i telnet switch it asks me username & passwd.

username:

password:

2950#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

after entering conf t, i should get the prompt as

2950#conf t

Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.

2950(config)#

but i am not getting this, but what ever command i enter, it accepts, only thing it don't get displayed, switch works fine & no probz in that. i hope ur clear with my question.

Hi,

The only thing that could cause this problem is the network authorization binded on to the switch. If you are using TACACS or RADIUS for the switch authentication and the administrator has not allowed you a level15 access by using the restricted access to config terminal, you will not be able to get to the config t.

The network autorization parameters are set on AAA server and you are only allowed to run the certain commands on the switch. You will not be allowed to run the commands that are removed from your priviledge set on your profile in the AAA server.

HTH,

-amit singh

find the lines related to privelage

username user privilege 15 password 7 XXXXXX

line vty 0 4

password 7 xxxxx

login local

privilege exec level 15 conf t

there is no AAA or radius configured.

Anand

I believe that I have seen similar symptoms when someone had configured prompts on the device. Can you check your config for any command that specifies prompt and post those commands?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi All,

thanks for ur replies, finally i could able to see a line has been mentioned as "no service prompt config" & thatz the reason i couldn't get the config prompt & now i made it as "service prompt config" & i get the prompt. Juz thought to share this information.

Anand

I am glad that my suggestion was able to help you resolve your problem. And thank you for posting back indicating that you had found a solution to your problem. It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and then read about the solution to the problem. It would make this thread even more useful if you would use the check mark to indicate that you had found a solution so that other readers would know that an answer had provided the solution.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card