cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch port solid amber light

kylebrogers
Level 4
Level 4

This is a new installation of a 2960-x and a 2911 router (configured solely as a voice gateway and not for routing purposes)

Plugging in phones and desktops into the switch works great.  Phones get IPs from the voice subnet, desktops get IPs from the data subnet, etc.  
The SVI for switch management is in the voice VLAN.

Currently there are only two things plugged into the switch - Port 48 is a trunk to other switches and Port 1 is the voice gateway.

The SVI can ping the switch's default gateway, other internal IPs on other VLANs, IPs on the internet, etc so it seems to be fine.  

However, the voice gateway cannot ping any IPs, including the SVI, even though they are on the same VLAN.  

Switch Config:

vlan 10

name DATA

vlan 20 

name VOICE

int vlan 20

desc MANAGEMENT INTERFACE

ip add 10.10.10.5 255.255.255.0

int gi1/0/1

desc VOICE GATEWAY

switchport access vlan 20

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 10

spanning-tree portfast

int gi1/0/48

desc TRUNK TO UPSTREAM SWITCHES

switchport mode trunk

==========================

Router config:

int gi0/0

desc TO LAN

ip add 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0

speed auto

duplex auto

TROUBLESHOOTING:

Verified that the switch LEDs are in STAT mode

When I plug in the voice gateway, the light turns solid amber and stays that way permanently.  If I console into it, it can ping itself, so the interface is up.

I've moved the switch config from port 1/0/1 to various other ports to ensure it's not just a bad port

Show spanning-tree blockports shows 0 blocked ports

The router's interface is set up as a single router interface and not as a trunk

I have looked at the interface status on both side and both list 1000/full.  I have also tried hard coding both side just to make sure it wasn't some odd speed/dupled mismatch.

Nothing comes up in the logs.  

1 Reply 1

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

Without seeing the whole config, it looks OK on the surface.

Can you do a "sh cdp neigh detail " on the router, and sh cdp neigh detail int gi 1/0/1 to verify what they might see (and possibly disagree on) ?  

Also, can you verify it's really a cat 6 cable with all 8 pins between the two?

PS - you ARE waiting for about 30 seconds for spanning tree convergence to complete?

Meaning
Amber
Port is blocked by Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) and is not forwarding
data.
After a port is reconfigured, the port LED can remain amber for up to
30 seconds as STP searches the switch for possible loops.
Blinking amber
Port is blocked by STP and is sending and receiving packets
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card