Helpful
Replies

Switch Port Trunk allowed Vlan

cisconell
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

Request your help on my query :

I have a distribution switch  and access switch and port channel between them.

Dist switch is the VTP server

lets assum I have 25 vlan

when I do show vlan brief on the access switch I can see all 25 vlans listed now

no when I configure switch port trunk allowed vlan (ex : permitting 10 vlans )on the link connecting to access switch at Dist switch

Dist switch po1 -- connecting to - po Access switch

Dist switch #

int po1

switch port trunk alllowed vlan x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,x,

After permitting 10 vlan through trunk allowed vlan and then when I do show vlan brief on the access switch , I should see only the 10 vlan whcih I have permiited right ?

Thanks in advance  

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

After permitting 10 vlan through trunk allowed vlan and then when I do  show vlan brief on the access switch , I should see only the 10 vlan  whcih I have permiited right ?

No. The show vlan and show vlan brief commands display all VLANs that are created on the switch, regardless of whether they are used/allowed. If you want to check the allowed VLANs on a particular trunk, you must check the show interfaces trunk command output, especially the bottommost part with the heading "Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned".

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

"So even if the access layer have the Vlan , and even if add an access port which is not part of allowed vlan

That access port will not communicate unless I permit it in trunk allowed vlan ?"

The access port can communicate on the local switch to other devices in the same vlan, but it would not be able to communicate across different switches if the vlan isn't allowed over the trunk. Of course, that would affect all hosts on the switch if the vlan isn't part of the trunk, so yes, you need to allow it over the trunk for it to communicate.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That should be correct , so do we have any other solution for not showing the unwanted vlans in the access layer

As Peter has stated with VTP server/client no you don't. However if you change all switches to VTP transparent then you can manually remove the vlans you do not want from each switch.  VTP transparent gives you more control over which vlans can exist on which switches.

Jon

9 Replies 9

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you do a "show vlan brie" and you've made that a trunk port, you won't see the interface listed for vlan 10 any longer. You can however do a "show int po1 trunk" and see the vlans allowed over the trunk.

HTH,
John

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

After permitting 10 vlan through trunk allowed vlan and then when I do  show vlan brief on the access switch , I should see only the 10 vlan  whcih I have permiited right ?

No. The show vlan and show vlan brief commands display all VLANs that are created on the switch, regardless of whether they are used/allowed. If you want to check the allowed VLANs on a particular trunk, you must check the show interfaces trunk command output, especially the bottommost part with the heading "Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned".

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks Jhon,

Hi Peter,

May be you are right , as I have not seen any supporing document , The show vlan and show vlan brief commands display all VLANs that are created on the switch, regardless of whether they are used/allowed.

This is what I have experienced after permittting the regured vlan still i see all the vlan in the access layer.

So even if the access layer have the Vlan , and even if add an access port which is not part of allowed vlan

That access port will not communicate unless I permit it in trunk allowed vlan ?

Thanks

"So even if the access layer have the Vlan , and even if add an access port which is not part of allowed vlan

That access port will not communicate unless I permit it in trunk allowed vlan ?"

The access port can communicate on the local switch to other devices in the same vlan, but it would not be able to communicate across different switches if the vlan isn't allowed over the trunk. Of course, that would affect all hosts on the switch if the vlan isn't part of the trunk, so yes, you need to allow it over the trunk for it to communicate.

HTH,
John

Thanks John,

That should be correct , so do we have any other solution for not showing the unwanted vlans in the access layer .

Should be the pruning ?

Thanks

edited      

Hi,

John is absolutely correct - even if you do not permit a VLAN on a trunk, it can still provide communication among local ports on a switch that are all assigned to the same VLAN.

I have a feeling that your original question was focused on a different aspect, though: You probably expected that if you exclude some VLANs from trunks, these VLANs will not be propagated via VTP to surrounding switches. Sadly, this is not the case. The switchport trunk allowed vlan command only affects data traffic in individual VLANs but it has no impact on the operation of VTP protocol. The VTP still advertises all VLANs, regardless of which VLANs are allowed on a trunk. To put it plainly, in a VTP domain, all server/client switches will know about all VLANs. THere is no legal possibility of having a single VTP domain consisting of server/client switch and yet have the switches differ in their VLAN database contents. It's as easy as that: one VTP domain = one big common VLAN database.

Best regards,

Peter

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That should be correct , so do we have any other solution for not showing the unwanted vlans in the access layer

As Peter has stated with VTP server/client no you don't. However if you change all switches to VTP transparent then you can manually remove the vlans you do not want from each switch.  VTP transparent gives you more control over which vlans can exist on which switches.

Jon

Thanks to Jon , Jhon and Peter for your valid inputs.

My query is clear , I consided this query is answerd.. Catch you guys for the next one 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card