cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch redundancy

SRIDHARBHARATH
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,I am having two layer 2 switches. My requirement is to provide fully redundant LAN. That means PCs are connected with one switch if that fails their connection will not have any down time means they will connect with any other switch to keep on communicating in LAN. Please can any one suggest me an architecture which will suit for CISCO packet tracer.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Good question Leo. 

The best way is to have at least two nic card on your PC (with the same speed). then with etherchannel, you can bring it to two different switch. 

Note that in Etherchannel, you have LACP  and PAGP. LACP is good when you are going on two different switch. two interconnect your switches, you can use stack cable or trunk port between the two switches. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
That means PCs are connected with one switch if that fails their connection will not have any down time means they will connect with any other switch to keep on communicating in LAN.

How many NIC cards does your PC have?

Have you heard of a term called "EtherChannel"?

I have only one NIC card. I have heard but I need the configuration I am not clear I need the exact configuration.

I have only one NIC card.

Then how is this going to work?  You stated that your PC is connected to one switch.  If this one switch fails and your PC only has one NIC card, then where is redundancy?

Good question Leo. 

The best way is to have at least two nic card on your PC (with the same speed). then with etherchannel, you can bring it to two different switch. 

Note that in Etherchannel, you have LACP  and PAGP. LACP is good when you are going on two different switch. two interconnect your switches, you can use stack cable or trunk port between the two switches. 

SRIDHARBHARATH
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your answer I will give a try....

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card