Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Switch refresh

We are faced with having to replace all of our Cisco 6500 switches because of end-of-life on all components by 2011. When I replace these devices I will have to provide POE capabilities to support plans to migrate to IP phones. I have taken this into consideration and will replace existing power supplies with the WS-CAC6000W model.

I'm planning on providing dual 220VAC input in order to get the max. power output of 6000W from the power supplies.

My planned configuration:

Chassis- 6506-E/6509-E/6513

Sup. Card - Sup32 at the access layer and Sup720 at the Core and Distribution layer.

Line Card - Ws-X6148A-45-AF

Power Supply - Dual 6000 watt

Power Input - Dual 220V

Questions:

1. Taking the worse case scenario of a fully populated 6509 or 6513 supporting the max. Class 2 devices; is the above configuration adequate to provide this service?

2. How much current and power will the power supplies draw from the input source in the worse case scenario?

3. Should I be concerned about heat dissipation?

4. If I request dual 220V 20Amp circuits from our facility group, is this adequate and correct?

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: Switch refresh

Alfredo,

As you have various Chassis and Supervisor, I recommend using Cisco's power calculator at http://www.cisco.com/go/powercalculator and customize the chassis to your liking.

Once you've entered all the information, a PDF report will be produced which you can keep for your records.

Please send my regards to Erik Molden.

HTH,

___

Edison.

I have used the power calculator.

My concern is the input power requirements and heat dissipation.

When I ran the calculations for a 6509-E, the results came out with a single/redundant 6000w with dual input to be using approx. 66.32%. Is this percentage acceptable?

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

The input power requirement and heat dissipation is included in the power calculator tool, please run a model of the hardware and you should see the appropriate output.

66.32% is acceptable.

__

Edison.

Views
Helpful
Replies