cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switch/ Router set up help needed

ciscouser55
Level 1
Level 1

I`m setting up a small lab - I have switch 3550 and a 2600 which I`m going to use for ipt. I want to connect the router to the switch, I can do a sh cdp nei on the router and on the switch and both can see each other but I can not ping from the router to a p.c also on the same switch. I have a server which provides the DHCP- can you provide a simple step by step thanks

1 Reply 1

williamsdo
Level 3
Level 3

You should first determind your IP address subnet ,an example is 195.100.100.0/28 this will give you 14 useable host

on your network address range 195.100.100.1 thur 195.100.100.14, your network is 195.100.100.0 and your broadcast is

Assign IP addresses to your router, switch and server from this range, you mighy reserve the first 4 address for this

purpose and use the remaining for host assigened through DHCP. If you use a routing protocol you must assign the network

address for the portocol to work.you can assign a default gateway for your switch which should be the routerinterface.

CDP is media- and protocol-independent protocol that runs on all Cisco-manufactured equipment including routers, bridges,

access and communication servers, and switches. You can view CDP neighbor but that doesn't mean they are pingable.

Try and go through a simple setup on the router and then the switch after you decied on an IP subnet, configuer

DHCP on the server and exclude the first four address that you will static assign to the network devices. enable a routing

protocol and then display the ip routes. I will send you a link that will tutor you through all of these setup, it is a great learning tool. HTH

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le31/le46/products/products-ip-routing.htm

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card