Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch stack IOS upgrade

waqas gondal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning on upgrading a 3750x switch stack to a slightly newer version.

My question is, would I have to load the new image onto each switch in the stack or just the master?

Thanks,

Waqas

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I am planning on upgrading a 3750x switch stack to a slightly newer version

Specify the IOS so we can determine if you are going to a bad IOS version.

My question is, would I have to load the new image onto each switch in the stack or just the master?

1.  Download the IOS file with the TAR filename from the Cisco website.

2.  Compare the MD5 hash value of this file against the one in the Cisco website.  The MD5 hash value must match.

3.  Use the command to upgrade your IOS:  archive download-sw /destination N tftp:///IOS.tar

NOTE:  /destination N - The "N" means the switch members in a stack.  If you have three switches in a stack then you use /destination 1 /destination 2 /destination 3.

View solution in original post

Is it not possible to just do a copy tftp: flash:?

You can but this means that you have to copy the BIN file to every member of the switch.

The command I provided gives you the ability to use ONE COMMAND LINE and copy the IOS into the entire switch stack.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I am planning on upgrading a 3750x switch stack to a slightly newer version

Specify the IOS so we can determine if you are going to a bad IOS version.

1.  Download the IOS file with the TAR filename from the Cisco website.

2.  Compare the MD5 hash value of this file against the one in the Cisco website.  The MD5 hash value must match.

3.  Use the command to upgrade your IOS:  archive download-sw /destination N tftp:///IOS.tar

NOTE:  /destination N - The "N" means the switch members in a stack.  If you have three switches in a stack then you use /destination 1 /destination 2 /destination 3.

Thanks for the reply,

Currently the switch stack is on version 15.0(2)SE which is causing problems. I am planning on taking it to version 15.0(2)SE4

Also, once the IOS is on the switch I will still have to change the boot parameters correct?

Cheers,

Waqas

You can but this means that you have to copy the BIN file to every member of the switch.

The command I provided gives you the ability to use ONE COMMAND LINE and copy the IOS into the entire switch stack.

Thanks Leo!

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card