Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch stacking

eng_adel273
Level 1
Level 1

I have two switches 3850 , Please check the configuration ,

Why the LID stacking is not working , The configuration is attached file is correct or NOT

10 Replies 10

Hi,

@eng_adel273 wrote:

I have two switches 3850 , Please check the configuration ,

Why the LID stacking is not working , The configuration is attached file is correct or NOT

In your configuration, the LID (Local ID also known as Port ID) is named correctly. I saw interface GigabitEthernet 1/0/1 as well as interface GigabitEthernet 2/0/1. Did I miss anything? 

HTH,

Meheretab

HTH,
Meheretab

sorry  , I means , LED light for stacking in front of the switch

can paste output of
#show switch detail

Switch#   Role    Mac Address     Priority Version  St
------------------------------------------------------
*1       Active   0057.d2ae.9600     5      V03     Re
 2       Standby  00da.551e.dc80     1      V03     Re

Stack Port Status             Neighbors
Switch#  Port 1     Port 2           Port 1   Port 2
------------------------------------------------------
  1         OK         OK               2        2
  2         OK         OK               1        1

When you press the MODE button on a 3850 .until you get into the Stack LED, it won't point to any interface LED (like it should do in order to know what number is that switch within the stack).

workaround : Use CLI to verify the switch number within the stack.

Mark Answered if this resolves & rate if helpful.

Thanks
Arun

Press the Mode button on a stack member until the Stack mode LED is on. The last two port LEDs on the switch should be green. Depending on the switch model, the last two ports are either 10/100/1000 ports or small form-factor pluggable (SFP) module. If one or both of the last two port LEDs are not green, the stack is not operating at full bandwidth.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/system_management/configuration_guide/b_sm_3se_3850_cg/b_sm_3se_3850_cg_chapter_01110.html#con_1403662

this should work or if you are running 3.7.3 there might be bug also  not sure this bug in other version

https://cdetsng.cisco.com/webui/#view=CSCuy43591

Thank you for your support

Is the configuration contains redundancy or Not ?

What happened if I turned off one Switch for example Active switch ?

How I apply redundany between two switches

stack is in active /standby state only . as per show switch detail command

if you turn off active switch . standby wil become active and works fine ..

rate if helpful.

Is the configuration contains redundancy or Not ?

What happened if I turned off one Switch for example Active switch ?

How I apply redundany between two switches

When you stack two or more switches together, you will have advantages over connecting the switches with trunk ports:
- You will have single management for all switches. You will treat the switches in the stack as if they are one switches.
- You will have much higher bandwidth between the switches. Cisco 3850 introduces Cisco StackWise-480 which offers a stacking bandwidth of 480Gbps nonblocking, and supports SSO (Stateful Switchover).
- SSO technology synchronizes Layer 2/3 and wireless protocol state machines from Active to Standby stack switch. During Active switch switchover the Standby switch performs graceful-recovery with neighbors without disrupting network topology.
The complementary NSF technology enables business continuity by delivering nonstop forwarding communication, while the Standby switch is transitioning in the Active role.

HTH,
Meheretab
HTH,
Meheretab
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card