Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Switch to adsl modem

Hello,

I cannot understand how there is communication between a 2950 switch on port 0/8 to an adsl mode. I have configured the port to ba an access port on vlan 2 and did not configure the ISP adsl modem/router.

I went to telnet the dsl/router and found out that it has only the desault vlan 1 set.

can someone explain why there is ping between them and internet works for all pcs connected to the switch

Thank you

2 REPLIES

Re: Switch to adsl modem

I now also set the same switchport which is going the dsl modem to  vlan 3 and again all pcs on vlan 3 can ping the modem, this is not supposed to happen right since the modem does not know about vlan 3

Purple

Re: Switch to adsl modem

The vlan number means nothing unless you are running a trunk link to a device , then the switch will tag the packets  with a vlan id .  As long as its a access port going to the device it can be any vlan number you want , you just can't have multiple vlans on the switch and expect them all to talk to the dsl modem . So yes any pc would be able to ping the device .

Views
Helpful
Replies