Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

switch to switch connectivity design

If i have 8 x 2960 switches with 4 uplink SFP ports , would it better to connect the 2960s to 3750 uplink SFP ports so in this i might need to purchase 2x 3750 or purchase 1x 3750 with 24 ports SFP switch (so uplink port to normal port)?

As my understanding usually connection from uplink port is using straight to any other normal port but in this i am using SFP connection.media converter is out in this case.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Usually it is preferred to use fiber via SFP to connect switches. This is because fiber can provide higher bandwidths and a faster debounce timer than copper. So usually switches would connect via the SFP uplink ports.

The most common design is to have either three layers, access, distribution and core or a two layer design with aggregation and core.

If the 2960 is your access then you would connect it to a distribution layer which could be a 3750 or so.

It all depends on your design, budget and so on how you want to setup things.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib CCIE #37149 Please rate helpful posts.
3 REPLIES
Silver

Usually it is preferred to use fiber via SFP to connect switches. This is because fiber can provide higher bandwidths and a faster debounce timer than copper. So usually switches would connect via the SFP uplink ports.

The most common design is to have either three layers, access, distribution and core or a two layer design with aggregation and core.

If the 2960 is your access then you would connect it to a distribution layer which could be a 3750 or so.

It all depends on your design, budget and so on how you want to setup things.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib CCIE #37149 Please rate helpful posts.

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. How come i always see people mention that uplink ports must be connected to normal port and not uplink to uplink ports. Which one is more of a standard usage?

The SFP ports allow you to use fibre cables to uplink your switches and still keep the 24/48 copper ethernet ports per switch for hosts.

You can use the copper ethernet ports to uplink with but you will be taking one port away from the hosts and leaving an empty SFP ports which obviously a standard RJ45 cable cannot use without an additional SFP.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content