cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switches recommendation - HW choice

dnalorah1
Level 1
Level 1

I'd appreciate help with choosing the right type of switches for the following enviornment:

1. Hosted services in the DMZ (publically accessed)
  2. LAN users with regular internet needs
  3. VOIP

Number of users 30 max, servers hosted in dmz with public access(static nat): 15 max

I'm thinking of the following (if you have a recommendation or a better setup please share your thoughts)

2 X 24  1-Gbps core switch  (main and fail over)

1 X 24 1 Gbps Edge switch (for DMZ)

1 X 48 Gbps Edge switch for LAN

Any Suggested switches to satisfy the above enviornment? especially with the mixed environment (wifi,voip,lan,etc.. ) and multiple vlans,etc..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That sounds correct. Switches- I believe 3560X series switches is good enough. They support qos ,POE as well for VOIP solutions. Make sure you get them with necessary L3 supported software (based on protocol you want to run). Talk to your preferred Cisco vendor with your requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10744/index.html

hth

MS

EDIT: Iam not sure if 3560X supports adv ip sw. You may not even need that level sw though. Cisco vendor should be able to get you full info.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mvsheik123
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Iam not a design expert but couple of thoughts..

1. When you have services access from Interenet, you need a security(firewall) device at the network perimter- preferably ASA. Based on your requirements (bandwidth, throughput and future growth) you can go with 2 of these for Active/standby

as failover. If budget allows go for IPS modules as well.

2. That makes your DMZ switches count 2.

3. You can purchase 2 L3 supported 48port switches and cnnect all the equipment/users directly to those switches.

Again, without knowing complete picture of your requirements, growth and any P2P links, backp link options etc its hard to give you complete hw list. If you have a prefered cisco vendor, contact the vendor.

hth

MS

Yes , you are correct it seems i didn't post full information.

The complete setup would be as such:

Two X Cisco rv016 multi wan router - > two X ASA 5515-X  with hw failover active/active ->

1. two X dmz 24 port GE switch

2. users 48 port GE  switch.

But i'm still a bit reluctant as to what switch series should i get and what should i look for when it comes to configuration given that i have mixed envrionemnt on the LAN side (voip/regular traffic/wifi)

That sounds correct. Switches- I believe 3560X series switches is good enough. They support qos ,POE as well for VOIP solutions. Make sure you get them with necessary L3 supported software (based on protocol you want to run). Talk to your preferred Cisco vendor with your requirements.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10744/index.html

hth

MS

EDIT: Iam not sure if 3560X supports adv ip sw. You may not even need that level sw though. Cisco vendor should be able to get you full info.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card