Views
Helpful
Replies

Switching reference books

cameron.moody
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am looking for a really good switching book. I normally go for the CCIE Professional Development series, however the only switching book in that series is rather old (1999).

Because of the age of it, it only really covers CatOS not IOS commands and is likely to be missing some of the newer features.

Can anybody recommend any other books that are of the same calibre and level of detail as those types of books?

Cheers

Cameron

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cameron

"Can anybody recommend any other books that are of the same calibre and level of detail as those types of books?"

Unfortunately no. This is by far the best book on Cisco switching i have come across. There was rumoured to be a 2nd edition being brought out but it seems to have gone quiet on that front.

Having said that it does cover an awful lot of detail that is still relevant today. It has 2 whole chapters on 802.1d STP which is by far the best coverage of STP i have read. Yes there are more recent versions of STP such as RSTP and MSTP but with a detailed understanding of 802.1d the newer versions are easy to understand.

10 years is a long time in computing but a lot of what it covers is still relevant now, although there are parts of it that admittedly are not. Personally i have found this book together with the many Cisco docs on the more recent features has worked well for me.

Perhaps if you could find it in a bookshop to have a look this may help you decide whether it is what you want or not but as i say i haven't found a book that goes into the same level of detail since.

Jon

Hi,

this one contains also some interesting info:

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=1587052563

BR,

Milan

Hi Toshi,

I did think about that Cisco LAN Fundamentals one but wasn't too sure about how "Fundamental" the book. Is it aimed at people going for CCNA or CCIE? :P

Unfortunately where I live everything is pretty much on an order-in basis so whatever I get it will be from Amazon...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card