Views
Helpful
Replies

switcing issue on cisco 2811 with an HWIC-4ESW

andrewswanson
Level 7
Level 7

hello

we have a cisco 2811 (12.4(3h)) with 2 fastethernet modules (a 9 port module and a 4 port HWIC-4ESW).

interface fas0/0 is the Layer 3 link and we have setup a vlan (47). the interfaces on the 2 modules are setup as access ports on vlan 47.

when a pc is plugged into module 1 (9 port) it works fine but when its plugged into module 2 (4 port) it doesn't (i get a link light but no IP connectivity - if i plug a switch into the port i can see it over cdp but have no connectivity on vlan47).

the 4 port module is working ok (we have a replacement HWIC-4ESW which exhibits the same problem).

am i missing something simple here?

thanks in advance

andy

interface FastEthernet0/0

description Layer 3 link

ip address A.A.A.A 255.255.255.252

duplex full

speed 10

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/0

desc interface on the 9 port module

switchport access vlan 47

duplex full

speed 100

!

interface FastEthernet0/2/0

desc interface on the 4 port module

switchport access vlan 47

duplex full

speed 100

!

interface Vlan47

ip address B.B.B.B 255.255.255.0

!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Did you externally tie the switchcards together? In order to get them to work as a single switch you have to tie them together with an external cable, yes it does eat up one port on each card in order to do this , i know you think they could have come up with a better way. Here is a little info , just do a search on the main webpage for further info.

Stacking of Cisco 10/100BASE-T Ethernet Switch HWICs

Stacking is the connection of two Ethernet switch HWICs resident in the same chassis so that they behave as a single switch. Stacking is accomplished by daisy-chaining the two cards together with an external RJ-45 crossover cable that is connected to the specified stacking port on each switch.

When a chassis is populated with two Ethernet switch HWICs, the user must configure the cards to operate in stacked mode.

Note There is no option to unstack two Ethernet switch HWICs. When two Ethernet switch HWICs are in the same chassis, they can operate only in stacked mode. If you configure the cards to operate unstacked, they will not operate correctly.

You must designate one port on each switch to be the stacking port. On the HWIC-4ESW card, this port is nominally the first port (port 0), although any port can be chosen. On the HWIC-D-9ESW card, this port is nominally the ninth port (port 8), although any port can be chosen. We recommend the use of port 8 as the stacking port, because it has been designed as an extra port on the HWIC-D-9ESW card and does not provide inline power.

Note Only one port on an Ethernet switch HWIC can be configured as a stacking port.

All combinations of Ethernet switch HWICs may be stacked: two HWIC-D-9ESW cards, an HWIC-D-9ESW card with an HWIC-4ESW card, or two HWIC-4ESW cards.

See the Configuration Guidelines for HWIC-4ESW and HWIC-D-9ESW Interface Cards document for information on how to configure stacking ports.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Did you externally tie the switchcards together? In order to get them to work as a single switch you have to tie them together with an external cable, yes it does eat up one port on each card in order to do this , i know you think they could have come up with a better way. Here is a little info , just do a search on the main webpage for further info.

Stacking of Cisco 10/100BASE-T Ethernet Switch HWICs

Stacking is the connection of two Ethernet switch HWICs resident in the same chassis so that they behave as a single switch. Stacking is accomplished by daisy-chaining the two cards together with an external RJ-45 crossover cable that is connected to the specified stacking port on each switch.

When a chassis is populated with two Ethernet switch HWICs, the user must configure the cards to operate in stacked mode.

Note There is no option to unstack two Ethernet switch HWICs. When two Ethernet switch HWICs are in the same chassis, they can operate only in stacked mode. If you configure the cards to operate unstacked, they will not operate correctly.

You must designate one port on each switch to be the stacking port. On the HWIC-4ESW card, this port is nominally the first port (port 0), although any port can be chosen. On the HWIC-D-9ESW card, this port is nominally the ninth port (port 8), although any port can be chosen. We recommend the use of port 8 as the stacking port, because it has been designed as an extra port on the HWIC-D-9ESW card and does not provide inline power.

Note Only one port on an Ethernet switch HWIC can be configured as a stacking port.

All combinations of Ethernet switch HWICs may be stacked: two HWIC-D-9ESW cards, an HWIC-D-9ESW card with an HWIC-4ESW card, or two HWIC-4ESW cards.

See the Configuration Guidelines for HWIC-4ESW and HWIC-D-9ESW Interface Cards document for information on how to configure stacking ports.

thanks for the response - had a look at the documentation and your right about stacking. i've configured a port on each module as stacking partner. the router is on a remote site so i'll connect the modules with a xover next week sometime to test.

thanks again

andy

thanks - module now works after following config guidelines in http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t8/feature/guide/esw_cfg.html#wp1049119

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: