Views
Helpful
Replies

syslog: host doesn't appear

bdeandrade
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I configured my syslog server and I reiceive the body of the message, but I don't have the host (Attachments1.jpg).

Here the command in the cisco:

logging origin-id string PAR-COT-SR0
logging facility syslog
logging host xx.xx.xx.xx

Any idea ?

thanks.

10 Replies 10

Hello,

you need to define the source interface, e.g.:

Router(config)#logging source-interface Loopback0

Hello

What do you mean  by "you dont have the Host" ?

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi,

When I said "I don't have the host", I wanted to say, I don't have the name or the IP of the concerning host (see my attachment and I hope you understand).

Thanks.

Hello,

Router(config)#logging source-interface Loopback0

didn't make a difference ?

Which syslog server are you using ?

Hi,

I added the command but unfortunately the result is the same: I don't have the information with the host.

For information, when I enter the command: "show log", I have this configuration:

099308: Nov  2 10:15:56: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface GigabitEthernet1/0/5, changed state to up

About the syslog server, I use << Visual Syslog Server >>.

Thanks for your help.

Hello

Is 192.168.50.1 the syslog server or is this an interface on your switch/rtr and if its the latter then what is the syslog server ip address and can you ping it from your switch/rtr?

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

192.168.50.1 is the interface of the switch

And yes i can ping from and to switch <-> syslog.

I receive all informations concerning the log except the host.

casanavep
Level 3
Level 3

It appears to be in the message body based on your attachment, so I would thing it is a SYSLOG server issue, not parsing the pre-: as host-id.

I agree. Visual Syslog is a free program, and those usually have limitations.

Under the Main Tab of 'Setup' there is an option to "Write all received messages to a file 'raw' for diagnostic purposes". If you enable that, check the raw file for any indication of the source IP address being at least sent to your server...

Ok, I activated the raw file and I don't have nothing for the host.

But when i see screenshot about the program, the host column is entered.

I don't understand where is the problem because when I see screenshot about the software all columns works.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card