cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog messages

faraz.sidd
Level 1
Level 1

I am unable to receive syslog criticial (level 2)messages on my syslog server , please help me in configuring on 3550 switch, i m not using SNMP , I m using simple logging host command

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Faraz

I am not clear from your post whether your syslog server receives some messages but not level 2 or whether it does not receive any messages. Understanding this difference will be very important in understanding your problem and finding a solution. Perhaps you can clarify?

It would also be helpful if you would post the part of the config dealing with logging, post the first 20 or so lines of show logg on the 3550, and post the output of a ping from the 3550 to the syslog server.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for replying me rick , well the problem is I m not getting only critical events on my syslog server from 3550 switch e.g messages like interface up or interface down messages are not showing up on server while I m getting other messages on syslog server , my configurations are minimal for syslog :

logging 1.1.1.1

logging trap 2 (for critical events)

logging facility syslog

end

these are my configs but I m not getting these traps on my server .

Hi Faraz,

I believe the messgae which you are expecting is link up and down messages to be sent to syslog server are not critical message but are error message so try setting the trap level to 3 instead of trap 2 and see if that resolves your issue

I believe you are expecting some messages like this

LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Port-channel1, changed state to up

to be sent to syslog server.So the trap level should be set to 3.

HTH

Ankur

Hi

Try to set the looging trap to a higher value.

I would suggest a value of 7.

Looging trap 7

This will send all the messages to the server. Later on you can reduce the trap level according to your needs

HTH

Narayan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card