Views
Helpful
Replies

TCP Sockets and Netstat

grichardson661
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Got this scenario regarding connectivity and its case of... is it network or application related? Here is the scenario...

We have an application which connects to some services over the public internet. The application does require specific security certificates to run successfully.

The application uses TCP as the transport method and only works on port 15000.

The machine this application runs on has internet access and can browse freely, no firewalls are on the route to reach outside of the campus.

When the application is started I can see from netstat a socket is being established successfully on TCP with a random none reserved port, a source ip, destination ip and destination port 15000.

Would it be safe to say when the socket has been established the fault may lie above lay 4 (not 4) of the OSI model. In other words security certificates, application configuration etc, because, for the socket to be established, a packet has left the machine, routed through port 15000, hit the services (the destination), the TCP/IP software on the services have reversed the source and destination IP and port to get back to the source machine to establish the connection (socket)?

Internet is good on HTTP using TCP as the transport method, the application is using similar methods to transfer data.

I bet there's much more that would need investigation but I think my question is related to - when a TCP sockets has been established what does this tell you?

Thanks for reading,

Garry

1 Reply 1

ralphcarter
Level 1
Level 1

Ok so, Application server listens on port 15000 for this service.

Clients connect to the machine on port 15000.

Clients PC picks a high port and creates a tcp session with this server.

Example:

Client IP 1.1.1.1 Source Port 22222

Client Destination IP 2.2.2.2 Port 15000

Application receives this request and processes it. It responds to the Client via the Port the client originally initiated.

Example Response:

App Server IP 2.2.2.2 Source Port 15000

App Server Destination IP 1.1.1.1 Port 22222

You can verify this in netstat.

CCIE 26175
www.techsnips.com
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card