cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

telnet problem of 6500series switches

minimintu
Level 1
Level 1

we configured cisco hierarchy with core,distribution and access.all 3 layers have cisco 6500 series switches.vlans are configured at distribution switches.i can telnet to core and distribution switches but i cant telnet to access layer switch?..i have checked the configuration but still the same problem...help me out...

15 Replies 15

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

Do u have connectivity to the management IP address. Can you ping to this IP from the desktop you are trying to telnet.

THe access layer switches require ip default-gateway configuration to access devices outside the network domain

configs would help

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

i cant ping the management IP of access switch from the desktop..ip default-gateway configuration has already made...i can telnet to access switch through distribution switch but i cant telnet it through desktop..i cant figure out what's the problem

help me out...

trunking protocol dot1q has been used between core,distribution and access...eigrp is between these switches...still i acnt telnet to access switch

one thing more...several vlans have been configured on distribution switch...i cant ping to any vlan gateway IP from access switch apart from ip default-gateway i.e.distribution switch..

help me out

Hi

First verify which is u r management vlan.try to check weather this vlan is allowed on the trunk links connecting to u r dist.

u r default-gateway should be the SVI of the switch which is doing intervlan-routing.

Thanks

Mahmood

this vlan is allowed on the trunk links and the default-gateway is also rite...but still i cant telnet to access switch...

help me out

can you please post the config of the switch you are trying to telnet.

attached is the config

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Check your vlans at layer 2 on both the dist and access switches . Do a show vlan and make sure they show active on both the dist and access switches . Also make sure the management vlan is allowed across the trunk on "both" the dist. and access switches . If these are trunked verify trunk is working correctly and the allowed vlans look correct "show int trunk" on both dist and access .Obviously if you cant telnet to the access switches you will have to verify the configs by plugging into the console ports on the access switches. Verify the layer3 SVI for your mgt. vlan shows up/up .

i have checked everything...management vlan is allowed on the trunks of dist and access switch...i can telnet access switch from distribution switch which means that all vlans are allowed on trunk...but i cant telnet from desktop,this PC is on one of the vlan...

Hi

can u check weather there are any access-lists configured.

Thanks

Mahmood

there are no access-list configured

somebody plzzzzzzzzz help me out

does anybody has the solution to my problem?....its really very critical

as already stated, do you have connectivity between the PC initiating the telnet and the switch.

Are they on the same subnet or different.

Also let me know whether you are able to reach the default-gateway IP mentioned in the switch configuration from the telnetting machine

Narayan

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card