cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet question

SPYME.GOOGLE
Level 1
Level 1

Can we telnet into a router which is in ROMMON mode.

Thanx

7 Replies 7

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No

Hi

Thanx for your reply. I have a switch which is in this mode (shown below). Previously its working fine but today when i tried to access the switch using telnet, i found it to be in rommon mode

CC

Press RETURN to get started!

rommon 14 >

rommon 14 >

rommon 14 >

Just puzzled. Please clarify me on this. Thax

Possibly a corrupt IOS image or bad flash card. At rommon mode, type;

rommon 14>confreg 0x2102

rommon 14>reset

If you continue to boot into rommon mode, then you have one of the 2 problems above. There is a wealth of information on cisco.com on how to recover from such disasters.

Hi,

by looking at your post, i could see the "Press RETURN to get started!" this line appears only if your connected to the router/switch via console using hypher terminal on windows or minicom on linux. apart from this there is no possibility that you could see that line via telnet, infact i was assuming the host name would have been renamed as eg. from switch> to rommon 14>, but when i looked in the "Press RETURN to get started!" line it has clarified that is a console terminal not via telnet.

hope this helps.

rate this post if cleared.

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

As stated above the answer is NO. The reason is that the router in ROMMON state does not have any IP addresses programmed on it. The router cannot even boot up correctly. Without anyt IP or layer 3 then you will not get any applications such as Telnet (layer 7)working on it....

HI

Thanx for ur reply. I agree with you but my question is what is the reason for my telent session to my switch show this output.?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Don't know how you could have telneted into the switch if it is in rommon . The only thing I could think of is you telneted into a terminal server which took you to the console port on the switch . If its in rommon it has not even booted up so thus you could not have telnetted directly to the switch .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: